Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII Map until I get it to a dyno

Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
X-steve
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII Map until I get it to a dyno

2005 Road King TC88
Stock Head Pipes
Rush slipons 1.75" Baffles
S&S 510g cams
Stage 2 ecm flash

Hi everyone, so I have a 2005 Road King Classic which I love but....
Ever since I had this bike it has been running very rich, I have a PCIII on it and it runs the best with -8 fuel at idle and -5 fuel across the board. The problem is Harley installed a stage 2 download since it has S&S 510g cams in it and it is running rich in all rpms. Just wondering if anybody has a PCIII Map that has a stage 2 download on a tc88 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by X-steve
2005 Road King TC88
Stock Head Pipes
Rush slipons 1.75" Baffles
S&S 510g cams
Stage 2 ecm flash

Hi everyone, so I have a 2005 Road King Classic which I love but....
Ever since I had this bike it has been running very rich, I have a PCIII on it and it runs the best with -8 fuel at idle and -5 fuel across the board. The problem is Harley installed a stage 2 download since it has S&S 510g cams in it and it is running rich in all rpms. Just wondering if anybody has a PCIII Map that has a stage 2 download on a tc88 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
First, since you already have a richer map (stage2) in the ECM, disconnect the Power Commander and see how the bike runs.
You really need a custom map done by a competent tuner.
You will not believe the difference between a rich-running untuned canned-map bike and a bike that has been recalibrated for the production variables of injector outputs, exhaust system choice, cam timing production variables, along with the typical mods (cams, heads, pistons, intake) done.
HTH
Bob

The following users liked this post:
msocko3 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM
X-steve
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the PCIII unplugged its runs even richer since I have all negative numbers in the map. I will be getting a tune form a guy named Don Morris that is 3hrs from me when I can save up the funds, hopefully spring. I was trying to get it a little better as I plan on pulling the bike to Florida this winter.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by X-steve
With the PCIII unplugged its runs even richer since I have all negative numbers in the map. I will be getting a tune form a guy named Don Morris that is 3hrs from me when I can save up the funds, hopefully spring. I was trying to get it a little better as I plan on pulling the bike to Florida this winter.
Thanks
Ok, now we have another piece of this puzzle.
IF you have the Stage II calibration in the ECM it is for a mild cam profile similar to the 510.
So, if anything, you should have noticed maybe a bit rich down low and a bit lean up around 3000-4000rpm but in no way should it be really rich across the board.
With the above said, maybe the injectors got changed to larger size without changing the size in the ECM software. This would definitely cause excessive rich running.
TYPICALLY you would use a PC map for a stock build and need to make changes for the 510 cam adding fuel in some areas while reducing fuel in others in order to recalibrate the fueling for the actual airflow though the entire system...including exhaust design which can cause much different fueling requirements than say just slipons added to the stock pipe.

So......There's something we don't know yet about your situation in order to properly diagnose your running issues.
Did it always run rich or is this something new?
Did a HD dealer do the work or was it an Indy (or you)?
What color are the plugs? Different front to rear?
Do you see black smoke from the tailpipe?
On a good mechanically running bike I have never seen a need to reduce fueling across the board unless something in the system is creating overly rich running...ie: injector size, increased fuel pressure.
Bob