The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Super tuner pro and S&S 583 cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Heath Fleming
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super tuner pro and S&S 583 cams

I've been doing a lot of research and can't find exactly what I'm looking for as far as a viable answer. I'm ready to upgrade my cams (2009 fatboy with SE stage one) and I'm pretty set on the S&S 583 due to what it brings to my bike now, as well as the ability to upgrade around it. My question is will my SE super tuner pro auto tune make the adjustments needed for the cam size, or will I have to go another route for tuning it.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:40 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

You are going to have to do some more runs to adjust the VE's. The SEPST will take care of what you need it to.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Heath Fleming
Novice

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
You are going to have to do some more runs to adjust the VE's. The SEPST will take care of what you need it to.
thats awesome news! My cams are supposed to be in today, so the process will be started soon. Do you have any ideas on a close base map I should use for the cam?

Old 02-18-2017, 11:56 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I would just use the stage 1 tune you have now if you like it. I would do some more smart tunes after cam install . The SEPST will not have a cam in one of their tunes for the cam you are looking at since it's not a H-D product.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,366 Likes on 21,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Heath Fleming
I've been doing a lot of research and can't find exactly what I'm looking for as far as a viable answer. I'm ready to upgrade my cams (2009 fatboy with SE stage one) and I'm pretty set on the S&S 583 due to what it brings to my bike now, as well as the ability to upgrade around it. My question is will my SE super tuner pro auto tune make the adjustments needed for the cam size, or will I have to go another route for tuning it.
You gonna go with heavier springs?
Do you have compression releases or are the Cams the EZ start?

Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Heath Fleming
Novice

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
I would just use the stage 1 tune you have now if you like it. I would do some more smart tunes after cam install . The SEPST will not have a cam in one of their tunes for the cam you are looking at since it's not a H-D product.
that doesn't sound bad at all then. Hopefully it'll run smooth after a few runs with auto tune. Thank you very much.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Heath Fleming
Novice

Originally Posted by lionsm13
You gonna go with heavier springs?
Do you have compression releases or are the Cams the EZ start?
I'm gonna upgrade everything probably later. I hope the springs hold up for awhile until I decide to upgrade more. If I'm not mistaken they are good up to .590, and the cam is .583. Don't quote my numbers exactly. The guy I've been talking to suggested the cams back when I first got my bike so I ended up researching until I got tired of reading and decided to go with them. They are ez start cams so I don't have to worry about the auto compression release. That would have caused me some serious headache drilling into the engine lol.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I have not used the SE tuner but do know a little bit about tuning and building motors. For a starter map, stock cam maps will likely have too much ignition timing. The compression ratio for a 96 ci motor is pretty low so you won't have to worry about compression releases unless the timing is way off during cranking. You are still boosting cylinder cranking compression and also dynamic cylinder pressures with a cam that has overlap. Stock smog cam has none. This means that there will likely be areas in the map where there is too much timing if using stage 1 map. A better map would be one that uses the SE255 cam. It closes the intake earlier than stock and does have some overlap..

As far as tuning goes. I'd look for knock retard events and back the timing off in those areas if you see any during the data collection process.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 02-20-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Add table
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice, im sure that 583 cam is real darn close,good luck, with thaqt tuner, youll be doing just fine im sure!!!!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Heath Fleming
Novice

I didn't know the SE 255 and 583 were that close, thank you very much I'll run a tune from that one, and let auto tune take care of the rest. I'm not sure how to adjust the retard events back on the tuner yet. Still researching and planning. Got my cams and push rods in so I should be ready to go when even i feel froggy.

Quick Reply: HARLEY: Super tuner pro and S&S 583 cams