Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power vision auto tune pro questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Power vision auto tune pro questions

Currently I am finishing up the install of my cr575 cams in my 2007 night train and I am getting to the point where I will be needing to update my tune. I emailed fuel moto last week about getting a tune for my bike and they could not give me an exact tune for the cr cams. Instead they sent me a tune for tw222 cams which are close but maybe not close enough for the auto tune basic to adjust to. Dyno tunes around me are 350 dollars so I was thinking about getting the Target tune (confused the types of tuning hardware) and using that to finish off my tune. A few questions I have are do I need to install a second set of bungs in my exhaust for the wide bands? Also will I be able to correct the tune to perform just as good if not better than a dyno tune. I am not familiar with tuning so this is all new to me. I just like the idea of being able to adjust my tune for all my changes later on

Last edited by stal94gt; 03-16-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Ok I got excited that fuel moto had it on sale so I bought it. I hope it has the capabilities to not require a dyno tune

Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Ok I got excited that fuel moto had it on sale so I bought it. I hope it has the capabilities to not require a dyno tune
Keep in mind just setting the ve tables and afr is only half the tune. If you don't address other areas of the tune, you won't realize everything you could have coming to you from your changes. There are times a competent dyno operator can turn a sows ear into a silk purse. Sometimes a couple or degrees more or less timing here or there can smooth out the engine and gain you a bit more hp and torque.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I wonder if I could email a log to fuel moto and they can tweek it on their end to improve things. I am sure over time I could learn how to do the tuning myself and be able to adjust all the tables so my bike runs correctly. If I have to get a dyno tune it is what it is and I still think having a constant over view will still be a good thing.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I wonder if I could email a log to fuel moto and they can tweek it on their end to improve things. I am sure over time I could learn how to do the tuning myself and be able to adjust all the tables so my bike runs correctly. If I have to get a dyno tune it is what it is and I still think having a constant over view will still be a good thing.
You're only going to get so close without a dyno, it all depends on if close enough is good enough. When the bike is on a dyno, the tuner can make a change and see if it helped or hurt. Sometimes less timing in an area of the map gets more and smooths things out and other times more timing is the ticket. Its the same with the afr tables, certain times more fuel or less fuel gets it done. Its all about giving the engine what it wants, which a person can't always feel by the seat of the pants.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:36 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I will give it a shot and see how things go. If i can't get it where it needs to be I will haul it to a dyno. I still think closed loop full range tuning is a good thing and even with a good set map conditions change and from what I understand the target tuner will pick up the slack. I really wish this kind of affordable option was available when I was building cars

Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

TT isn't something that you slap on and everything is great. You still need to map your VE tables with it before you are done.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I am starting to think that the TT system is not for me. I love the concept of it but it sounds to me I need a really strong map to start with and I don't think fuel moto is capable of that cause they have never tuned my cams before. Kind of sucks cause the tuner at Harley wants me to get a fp3 cause all he has to do is look up the map and roll it on the dyno till it auto tunes it's self smooth

Old 03-17-2017, 06:46 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I ended up emailing dyno jet and they had a base map for my combination. I am not extremely shocked as I ended up using their tune over the fuel moto tune before I added the cams. The fuel moto tune was good but the dyno jet tune was a lot smoother with zero decel pop. I am excited to see if the tune they sent me with a few auto tune sessions on the target tuner will get me where I need to be. Like I stated before I can always get a dyno tune later

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

I am starting to think that the TT system is not for me. I love the concept of it but it sounds to me I need a really strong map to start with and I don't think fuel moto is capable of that cause they have never tuned my cams before. Kind of sucks cause the tuner at Harley wants me to get a fp3 cause all he has to do is look up the map and roll it on the dyno till it auto tunes it's self smooth
The fellow that told that is not a tuner he is a hack

For a true dyno tune the operator uses your tuner as a link to your engine to make adjustments , no reputable shop would auto tune and call it good

Dave

Quick Reply: Power vision auto tune pro questions