The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: FP3 Autotune confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Renoire
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FP3 Autotune confusion

Hello Forum for a wet England,

Apologies if this has been answered but I have spent a while reading through threads on FP3 and autotuning without finding the answers to my specific questions, so here goes:

I have a 2016 Softail Slim S to which I have fitted Rush slipons. I fitted the FP3 unit and mapped in the generic slipons map (to slot 1 - the stock being in slot 0), all no problem. The bike went great. I then went out to do an autotune session and became a little confused about the process:

1: When I decided to finish the autotune session, the app told me I needed to turn the engine off. Is it essential that this is done using the kill switch rather than turning the main ignition switch off? I mean, if you turn off the main ignition switch before finalising the autotune session, is all the newly mapped data lost?

2: When I first stopped the engine using the main ignition switch and tried to 'apply' or finalise' the session, the app buttons did not respond. Is this normal?

3: When hitting the 'apply' button, so that I could flash what had already been mapped, and then carry on with the autotuning session, the app seemed to do the same thing as though I had finalised the session, and seem to quit out. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

4: Many of the threads here say that folks have done an autotune session over a couple of weeks. How is this possible if you have to switch off the bike and take your phone away? If you just hit 'apply' does the bike and the app remember where you left off, even though everything was switched off?

Sorry for the dumb questions, and thanks for any helpful replies.

Cheers

Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

1) No/No
2)Yes
3)Yes/No
4)Yes

Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Renoire
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocker B
1) No/No
2)Yes
3)Yes/No
4)Yes

Thanks Rocker B for your very succinct, but helpful answers!

Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Renoire
Thanks Rocker B for your very succinct, but helpful answers!
No problem, sorry for the short answer, I was on my way out the door....I always just turn of the ignition. The FP3 will hook back up automatically when you turn the ignition back on, as long as the run switch is on RUN and your blue tooth is on. Another thing I do when running Autotune, since it gets cleared each time you "apply", is I take a screen shot of the grid tracker before I hit "apply", so I can compare them. It should only take about a couple hundred miles or about a tank of gas, to get a good A/T session in, running it for much longer is over kill, and the bike wont run it's best until you hit "finish" and it readjusts the air/fuel ratios to start using your learned values....

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-23-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:09 AM
Renoire
Intermediate

Thanks again Rocker B

Old 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I always forget to check my phone that my blue tooth is on. I turn it off a lot of times for different reasons, then I freak out that my FP3 isn't working when I go to play with it.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Renoire
Intermediate

Hi again to the HD world out there in the ether,

As my sig says, I have a pair of Rush Slipons with the 1.75 baffle (quietest option) on my Slim S, and so in FP3 I chose the 'Generic/Slipons/Standard baffle' option. Bike ran **** (popping and banging, etc.). I tried Autotuning with the helpful advice provided here, and the bike ran even more ****! I returned to the 'Stock' map and everything was lovely again!

Makes me think that my Rush Slipons are not far enough away from the stock to need a very different map (maybe I never needed the FP3 - sob!). However, I would now like to try and Autotune the stock map to see if there's any improvement.

The app says if you want to re-map the stock map you have to make a copy into another slot. So my question is how do you copy the stock map into another slot?

Also, how do I delete the maps I have already made that are in the other slots. I see there is a 'bin' symbol at the top of the app, but if I select a map to bin it, the app automatically starts trying to upload it. Can someone please offer me some advice on this too?

Very much appreciate any advice on my two questions above.

I do wish that V&H provided more detailed instructions on the use of FP3 rather than making folks rely on (great) forums like this (although always fun to talk with fellow HD enthusiasts)!

Cheers from England.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Renoire
Hi again to the HD world out there in the ether,

I do wish that V&H provided more detailed instructions on the use of FP3 rather than making folks rely on (great) forums like this (although always fun to talk with fellow HD enthusiasts)!

Cheers from England.
Contact them via email or phone. Explain exactly what your bike is and any Mods you have done. They will help you get a good map for you to use. They will also explain how to use the FP3 in different modes.

I know the product doesn't come with a descent manual, but their cust service is pretty good.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Renoire
Intermediate

Thanks for that Sileradoman2. I'll bear that in mind.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any answers to my specific questions on copying over maps to different slots and deleting existing maps?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Not sure how to copy the stock map to another slot, but to delete a map, you need to long press on the map you want to delete (cant be your current map) then the trash bin will pop up. Hit the bin, and it will then ask if your "sure you want to permanently delete this map?", hit "Delete." If you call V&H they can tell you how to copy the stock map to a different slot, or they can send you the stock map to download.....

Quick Reply: Other Devices: FP3 Autotune confusion