Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Update: FIXED w/o H-D Tool! was: Ignition switch alignment tool???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update: FIXED w/o H-D Tool! was: Ignition switch alignment tool???

I swear I will never change handlebars again.

I'm trying to button everything up and my ignition switch doesn't go back in. The service manual says that I need an "ignition alignment tool". I really don't want to buy a HD tool I'll use once (with any luck) if there's something homemade I can use. Any ideas?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:47 PM
texas tom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition switch alignment tool???

Did you turn it? If you take a large screwdriver you can turn the cams and realign the ign ,I did this and was about to give up when I finally got it,that is all the tool does is turn the different parts to line em up,if you look down into the switch you will see you can turn different parts of the switch,also make sure the little button is still depressed on the bottom ,good luck dont panic or give up it is doable..

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UPDATE: FIXED WITHOUT THE H-D TOOL! RE: Ignition switch alignment tool???

ORIGINAL: texas tom

Did you turn it? If you take a large screwdriver you can turn the cams and realign the ign ,I did this and was about to give up when I finally got it,that is all the tool does is turn the different parts to line em up,if you look down into the switch you will see you can turn different parts of the switch,also make sure the little button is still depressed on the bottom ,good luck dont panic or give up it is doable..
This is the solution ladies and gentlemen.

Except I used a medium sized screwdriver with a 6" blade. I cut the wheel hard left, stuck the screwdriver in the switch hole, turned it one click CCW and the fork locked right up. Then I put the switch stem in the hole and clicked THAT around to the lock position and the **** dropped right into place.

Screw that alignment tool BS. I was about to panic because even though I'm lucky enough to have about a half dozen different dealers within a half hour of home, none of them were willing to rent or sell me a tool. I was afraid I was screwed.

THANKS TEXAS TOM!