Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New PCIII and pinging...etc.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM
natewat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PCIII and pinging...etc.

Ok, here goes. I have done several searches and read until my eyes were bleeding.

My current bike: Rinehart 2 into 1, K&N 3909, and PCIII USB.

I just installed a PCIII USB from Jamie at FuelMoto to eliminate the pinging on my 07 Ultra Classic. It still pings even though it was pre-mapped by Jamie for the above configuration. I called Jamie and he had me retard the timing -5 in the low to midrange and add fuel in the 40-100% throttle range. It hauled like an ox. I was in heaven! No pinging...and it roared. Then it warmed up completely. I couldn't get past 25% throttle without the engine trying to cut out and the bike coughing and lurching, and sputtering like a dieing pig. I though I was going down with my son on board. I gott'er home by staying in 3rd and 4th gear at low throttle, and re-loaded the original map.

I am not mechanic but I am a quick learner. Is it possible that the engine is now "flooding" from to much fuel when it is completely warmed up? Would it be worth a try to go say halfzies? What I mean is, cut all of the adjustments in half as a starting point and keep adjusting from there. Are there adjustments that I just should never do, or a max adjustment that I should stay from?

I know that Jamie is superbusy this time of year and I hate to keep bothering him. Plus there is that sense of accomplishment if I can get this worked out on my own...with a little help.

If I can't get it soon, I guess I'll have to dump the $200-$300 in to a dyno tune.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New PCIII and pinging...etc.

http://www.head-quarters.com/html/efi_i_tuning.html

Check this out. Read my posts as well as it took me a while to eliminate my ping...but I did. I used a standard dynojet map & changed my timing. I also installed the accelerator pump feature for my PC III. Good luck...keep us posted.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

BTW...I didn't retard my timing nearly as much as the HEADQUARTERS web site....but I also didn't add fuel, except for the pump feature I mentioned in my earlier post.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 AM
svttv
2nd Gear

I have the same setup on my 07 Street glide and I have no pinging at all. Try the power commander site map for the #19 map, it is for a 2-1 thunderheader. Works for me

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

Man, sounds likeyougot alot of experience from working at Cool Hollow HD!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

MDMYMD...

As the owner and sole proprietor....stop axin me so many questions BOYYYYYYYYYYYY !

Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 PM
natewat
Road Captain

Dsanchez and svttv,

Thanks for the info.! I used information from both of your posts to eliminate the pinging. I found and loaded the #19 map that svttv suggested and it was much better but still was pinging in 5th and 6th at highway speeds under load. So, just today while I was out, I pulled over and got out the ignition map I printed from the website Dsanchez posted and entered all of the values for both cylinders and viola! I haven't riden enough to confirm that the ping is completely gone, but I feel that I can say that 98% of it is. This will be great since next weekend I will be taking my wife on a church ride into the mountains.

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

Your welcome but...

Remember that when you retard timing that you are going to decrease performance....so if you eliminate all your ping with what HEADQUARTERS said...then you might think about advancing some of the numbers a little at a time and see if you can still keep the ping out.

I never used the HQ stuff...I retarded my timing in the 60,80,100 throttle positions to -2 in the rpm range from 2500-6500. The accelerator pump eliminated one ping I got when I quickly rocked the throttle. Had this not worked I would have tried the Headquarters info.

Anyway...play with it and enjoy.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:42 AM
natewat
Road Captain

Tell me about this "accelerator pump." What is it? What does it do? What are the benefits? and the biggies...How much is it and How hard is it to install?

BTW, I will be advancing my timing like you said. I figured I'd start with the bigger numbers and advance them one number at a time (-6 to -5) and run it for a week or so. If I get a ping again I can go back to the last good set of numbers. I enjoy tinkering so this should be fun!

What I think is cool is that I now have my own custom map for my bike. I like that!

ORIGINAL: Dsanchez

Your welcome but...

Remember that when you retard timing that you are going to decrease performance....so if you eliminate all your ping with what HEADQUARTERS said...then you might think about advancing some of the numbers a little at a time and see if you can still keep the ping out.

I never used the HQ stuff...I retarded my timing in the 60,80,100 throttle positions to -2 in the rpm range from 2500-6500. The accelerator pump eliminated one ping I got when I quickly rocked the throttle. Had this not worked I would have tried the Headquarters info.

Anyway...play with it and enjoy.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 AM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

Tell me about this "accelerator pump."
Yeah, is it diamond cut?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New PCIII and pinging...etc.