Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

starter prolblems-getting pissed-84 fxst

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:26 AM
cowboyfxst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter prolblems-getting pissed-84 fxst

Recently bought an 84 fxst and it started fine with the electric start for a few days. Now when hitting starter button starter engages and barely cranks and then takes a ****. It sticks for a few secs and then releases. Cleaned all connections and took apart soloneid and everything looked good inside. Dont know if I should pull starter. My manual doesnt show how secondpushrod going to starter drive connects or works.Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default RE: starter prolblems-getting pissed-84 fxst

I would check the battery first. Confirm that the battery is NOT the culprit, before proceeding to next steps.

To me....it sounds if the battery is weak and/or the CCA is a little too low to start the bike.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

use a starter/charger or a second batt to jump to it, if it starts, replace your battery.

this is the most likely cause since it had no problems earlier.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 PM
cowboyfxst
Advanced

thanks for the advice- Had bat checked and tested first. Also rebuit the solenoid. Took out starter and hooked up juice and it runs fast and sounds good. I dont have an amp meter so I guess I will take somewhere tommorrow and have a draw test done on starter. A couple of days ago after it started barely cranking all of a sudden for a couple of times it cranked real strong and fast like the starter was new. Also was concerned that maybe starter drive housing bushing or something else was binding. No unusual noise comming from gears only a real slow crank and then the starter stops and takes four of five secs to release itself from pinion gear ect.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:01 PM
cowboyfxst
Advanced

thanks- tried that and allready had battery tested-good. rebuilt solonied and cleaned and checked all wires. Every now and then it cranks like a new starter and then goes back to hardlyy cranking. Im gonna take it tommorow to a place and get starter tested. I dont have axcess to a amp meter to do a draw down test on starter. thanks and safe riding.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: cowboyfxst

thanks- tried that and allready had battery tested-good. rebuilt solonied and cleaned and checked all wires. Every now and then it cranks like a new starter and then goes back to hardlyy cranking. Im gonna take it tommorow to a place and get starter tested. I dont have axcess to a amp meter to do a draw down test on starter. thanks and safe riding.
Could be a bad spot on the commutator or bad brushes. To check you will need to look at them.

Take the starter out and open it up. If they have a bad place you will see it. If it is not burned bad you can repair it.

Pull the armature out of the casing. Take some crocus cloth. Mount the armateur in a vice. Carefull with the wires. Clean up the commutator with the crocus cloth.

Once it is bright and shinny. Look at the gaps between the pads. If there is any copper or burnt material between them. Take an exacto knife slowly rake the slots to clear them.

Check the brushes. If the braid is not burned and they have enough material left. If they have pits in them you can take some crocus cloth and wrap it around the communitator with the grit out. Slowly reform the curve in the brush.

Make sure things are clean and reassemble. While it's apart check the bearings/bushings. Clean and lube if applicable.

Good Luck

Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 AM
cowboyfxst
Advanced

thanks Bro-sounds like good advice. I'll do that. Ride safe and I'll let u know in a few days how it turned out.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 PM
cowboyfxst
Advanced

Found problelm-Allthough battery was tested twice and tested good I found a short in the negative battery post. Replaced battery and cranks right up now. Thanks for all the help Bros and safe riding.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:34 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worst case scenario....at least you can kick yours over