Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Pipes Glow RED

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:03 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Pipes Glow RED

I have the "new" Samson True Duals Fishtail with Short Mufflers (S-403) on my 05 FLSTSI with the SE air filter and have been having problems.When I first put the pipes and air filter on I chose to go with the PowerCommanderIII usb, of course they did not have a map for this combination so I loaded the map they recommended. The bike ran great but the first time I rode in the dark I noticed that the pipes were glowing red form the heads down about 8" (rear pipe seems brighter) when I was at a long red light.
I have tried many things like altering the map and adding more fuel...still glowing. So I took the PC off and went to the dealer to get the Stage1 download, the bike seemed to run as good but started popping on deceleration and coughing when taking off after stopping and the pipes still glow... but just orange, not bright red. So I put the PC back on and loaded a different map to go along with the Stage! downlaod, this got rid of some of the popping but the pipes are glowing red again...BRIGHT RED. The dealer and the people at powercommander think it is just the pipes...?
Any ideas???

Old 11-08-2005, 02:52 AM
gearjammer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pipes Glow RED

hay

I have the Samson Calaber true duels on my Road King Custom. They glowed orange and I thought it was running lean.
got a new air cleaner and Power Comander. Installed a map that was close to my set up.
Ran great but still glowing orange. Took it to H D for a custom map run on a dyno. Runs great but the
thing still glows orange. The tech at H D said its normal for them to run hot. It bugs the hell out of
me. I didnt see where you were from but here in the land of fruts and nuts we have some stupid laws.
The cal bikes have more smog stuff on them. Ask your dealer and see what they say. Then just ride
and enjoy.

Have a good one John

Old 11-08-2005, 04:44 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for your input, I have been on the phone with Texas Harley's Service manager talking to him about having my bike "Dyno Tuned" but he did warn me that the rear pipe glowing is not uncommon and that there is a good chance that it may still due that. He also said that this is an issue with the bikes and Harley sais it is normal, so tuning the bike may help the performance but not cure my complaint I have.

Thanks
Barry Green

Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM
gearjammer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry

Its too bad that H D has that stand on things. Just like the brakes the alarm etc. You put out 20.000 for an H D
then spend more to inprove the brakes, finish the alarm, chrome covers with no chrome bolts etc . You seem to get
that stuff on a 10.000 import. I just try not to think about the glowing pipes and enjoy riding. Hope you get
it all worked out.

Take care John