Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition -I'm stumped...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 AM
fatboyfrankster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition -I'm stumped...

Hi. I have a '92 Fatboy running like crap. It has a Crane ignition module installed and appears to only have 2 wires coming out of it. Wiring diagram shows 7 wires on stock module. Any of you guys know if something gets deleted when this system is installed? I have no power to my vaccuum operated electrical switch, and am thinking this is my problem. The way I see it, it gets power from the module. The bike runs the same weather the switch is connected or not. It backfires andruns so bad I can't even ride. I repl'd the voes already just in case...
Went thru the carb, new coil, wires plugs, battery, voltage reg,new gas & fuel lines.Front cyl is running leaner and backfiring more than rear. All this was done I thought logically after talking with others and reading up here to no avail yet. I had the x-mission out to replace the shift-shaft spring. Bike ran perfect (before I worked on it) otherwise. The drag pipes I have on it don't line-up perfectly and I've repositionedthe front and replaced gaskets 3 times already. The exhaust on this bike was by no means meant to be efficient as far as I can tell and I feel its about as close to good as I can get it without throwing the drag pipes in the garbage (which is coming soon).Harley had a crappy design here -but thats for another forum...
HELP!!! It'd sure be appreciated if you could steer me in the right direction...
Thanks, Frank

Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM
bullelkklr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition -I'm stumped...

I don't remember the wire counts...sorry. But I did put a new Crane Hi-4 on my heritage and it worked for about 10 minutes if that. It went to crap on me and the bike wouldn't run. Is your LED blinking randomly and a whole lot? If so the module in the nosecone might be smoked. I also had an Ultima that didn't work right out of the box...went back to stock and it runs great for about 5k miles now. My next ignition will be something with just a pickup in the nosecone and the electronics under the seat/backtire.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ignition -I'm stumped...

Call Crane. They are in Daytona and they have always been helpful when I have had tech questions.
Tech Hours
8am - 7pm Mon.- Thurs.
8am - 5pm Fri. EST

Tech Line -
386-258-6174

Troubleshooting info:
http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90003100a.pdf

Tech Fax Line -
386-258-6167