Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Blue pipes...Rich or lean

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:12 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Blue pipes...Rich or lean

Ok everyone believes that when a bike is lean the pipes blue, right?
I was a bike mechanic for several years for Yamaha & Kawasaki when I was younger, Back then everyone was just coming out with the 4cyl bikes and I remember the pipes bluing due to the customers letting the bike run with the choke on too long...running rich. Well when I started riding a real motorcycle Eveyone said your too lean your pipes are turning blue, your gonna burn up that engine!!!
Now after visiting the web site of Krome Werks I find this in the Q&A section:

Is exhaust bluing a warrantable condition?

No. All chrome plated steel exhaust pipes or mufflers will "blue" or discolor when the surface temperature reaches 900°F. This can occur if the fuel mixture is too rich. Instead of the charge burning mostly in the combustion chamber, the mixture continues to burn after the exhaust valve opens, down the pipe, causing extreme heat and bluing of the metal and its plated surface in the most restrictive areas - most commonly the bends or the baffle area. cleaning products, such as Blue Buster™, are available and when properly used are quite effective in removing most discoloration from pipes. Heat shields are now available for 3" mufflers

Is re-jetting necessary to install Khrome Werks AR® exhaust systems?

Many customers think a richer main jet is required when changing to high performance pipes and/or free flowing air cleaner. Air/fuel mixture ratios taken during dyno and road tests of our HP-Plus Mufflers and AR systems on stock Harley-Davidsons with free-flowing air cleaners showed no main jet changes were required to obtain desired performance and mixtures. But many required to be richer at idle and just off idle. The idle mixture screw should be set at 1/2-1 1/2 turns. A simple way to enrichen the off idle mixture on CV carbs is to raise the needle .030"-.040" with a washer or replace the needle with H-D part no 27094-88. If still too lean replace the slow jet with one size larger. Bikes with cams, high compression pistons, big bore kits etc. will require adjustments to all carb jets.

But if you go to Samsons site they say :

Exhaust-pipe discoloration is a big issue. Riders want their bikes to look good, and a blued-out, discolored set of pipes doesn’t fit that picture. It doesn’t matter whether they just cruise around town or they’re long-distance road warriors, everyone wants a show stopper when they pull into their favorite hang out or that coffee stop three states away. Clean, shiny pipes are a must.

What causes bluing and discoloration, and what can be done to minimize it? Basically, pipe-bluing is the result of excess heat that actually changes the chemical structure of the chrome on the pipe. The excess heat can have a number of sources: an engine running too lean; air leaks; even hard running. There’s really no preventing discoloration of motorcycle pipes, it’s a fact of two-wheeled life. The smart answer is to cover the head pipe, where that bluing and discoloration most often occurs, with a good-looking heatshield.

I know...I know...

Barry

Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Blue pipes...Rich or lean

Blue the whole pipe with a torch, and call it custom!

Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Blue the whole pipe with a torch, and call it custom!

One technique...

It's lean...too hot is too lean...

Mac

Old 12-15-2005, 06:01 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

My bike runs fine now,and the plugs look fine. I just thought it was interesting that two pipe manufactures say two different things, and everyone in the forums seems to think it is a sign of the bike running lean. I know that pipes blue some more than others, my Hard Krome that I had on my Night Train did not blue at all and I mean under the heat shields but they are very heavy pipes. The Samson pipes I have now are very light therfore thinner, they glow orange about 6" off the head after a hard ride or after a long idle and they are a pretty purple...under the heat shields.

Barry

Old 12-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock pipes glow under the heat sheilds after 5 min idle.

Pipes are blue/gold under shields.

All stock motor/pipes/AC.

Do I need to talk to dealer about it, or is that normal?

Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

They tell me it is, when I fist noticed it I fraeked out. I calle the dealer and he said
it was normal especially on the rear pipe. I guess I never noticed this before but
with the loop that the rear pipe makes on the Samson True Duals you cant help
but see it if you look down.
I just started this thread because I thought it was interesting how two different
pipe manufactures differ... I know pipes blue...

Old 12-22-2005, 02:04 AM
83ironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the blued pipes look cool. fade from blue to yellow to chrome. my bike runs fine, and i dont really care about the blueing. its just one of those things i dont worry bout cause looks arent everything!

Old 12-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Otter

I know working with small 2-stroke 100 to 250 cc gas motors too hot = too lean. I have never overheated with a rich mixture...?