Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 Download vs SERT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Moby
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Download vs SERT

I'm adding the SE air cleaner and SE performance touring exhaust to the 08 Ultra Classic I'm getting in February. Is there a difference between the Stage 1 download and the SERT program for this set-up? I was told at the dealership that the SERT would affect the warranty because I would be able to modify fuel input and possibly damage the engine. If I do the Stage 1 download would I be able to put the similar SERT program in the ECU before returning the bike for service without the dealership noticing?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Default RE: Stage 1 Download vs SERT

ORIGINAL: Moby

I'm adding the SE air cleaner and SE performance touring exhaust to the 08 Ultra Classic I'm getting in February. Is there a difference between the Stage 1 download and the SERT program for this set-up? I was told at the dealership that the SERT would affect the warranty because I would be able to modify fuel input and possibly damage the engine. If I do the Stage 1 download would I be able to put the similar SERT program in the ECU before returning the bike for service without the dealership noticing?
There is a big difference between the Dowload and the SERT. The Download is a one-time reflash of the ECM on your bike of a static set of adjustments to the settings for air/fuel ratios and maybe timing. It might work fine or it might just miss the mark. Either way, it is a one time shot at tuning your bike for the add-ons that you have installed. In my opinion it is a lot of money for a canned map that is the same for all bikes.
The SERT is infinitely adjustable for a lot of parameters for each cylinder and can be fine tuned and adjusted if you change add-ons in the future. (I am no SERT expert here, that is just what I have learned from reading the posts on this site) It is more expensive than the download. With the SERT you can modify the air/fuel ratios to adjust the lean condition that your bike is running at from the factory. My dealer offered to install the SERT and tune the bike. I am pretty sure they know that my bike is still under warranty. Maybe it varies from dealer to dealer how it affects the warranty work that the dealer is willing to do. The box that the SERT comes in states that there are warranty implications but, it probably is one of the best tuners available.
Personally, I went with the Power Commander to save money. I think it will do just fine since I am not planning to change anything other than the pipes and air cleaner. If I were planning to change the cams, cylinders and pistons at a later date, I would have saved up to add the SERT. I only paid a little more for the Power Commander than the download and I can make adjustments to the Power Commander while I couldln't with the download.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECM Flash is the same as the canned maps available with the SERT. The true strength of the SERT is in the ability to custom tune the bike. If done right, the warranty impact would be MINIMAL. Why do I say that? IN order to deny a warranty claim, the dealer must prove the add on part caused the failure.

So if the SERT is on a bike, and you have a bearing failure, then they have to PROVE the SERT caused a bearing failure.

Understanding if you burn up a valve, or piston, then they would have to prove the failure was caused by the fuel delivery modifcation from the SERT, a much easier argument to win.

This makes a good read on warranties. Link Here.

If you are planning on doing any engine work down the road, take it from me and get the SERT.

RJ

Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

The canned SERT map for a "stage I" setup is much better than the flash Stage I download too. I've had both. The Stage I is still very hot and lean. While you need a good dyno and tech to get the "perfect" map for your bike, just a little fidding around can get you a much better map than stage I download. However, if it's an issue, the stage I download will keep you EPA legal...

Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Moby
Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies. At this time, I'm not planning on any other engine modifications so the parts manager at my dealership felt the download would be the better choice. Otherwise he felt the SERT would be the way to go. Then I asked about impact to the warranty and he told me it would affect the warranty because I could change settings to make the fuel mixture too rich and possibly damage the engine. I would prefer the SERT but don't want to risk affecting the warranty on the engine. That's why I was wondering if the SERT would let me restore the Stage 1 download when I take the bike back for servicing.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

No, once the SERT is on, it's on.

That's funny isn't it. The Stage I will still have the bike running way lean, and therefor hot. In the long run that will wear much worse on the engine. It is true you could totally kill the engine with the SERT if you wanted to, but the burden would be on them to prove it. If you really want to play it safe with the warranty issue then do the download, but with the SERT, even just with the map off the CD, the bike will run better, that is, both with more power, and cooler. The guys at my shop told me the same thing. Basically I just wasted $150 on the download, lucky me I made it back up (sort of) by finding a cheap SERT on ebay.

Bottom line is the engine will never run "right" with an EPA approved download. Plane and simple it runs the engine too hot so it burns the gas 100%, or close to. Way too lean.

A way around the warranty issue might be to have your shop dyno your bike, then hold onto the SERT for you. That way it will be cut and dry that you did nothing to harm your engine and puts it all back on them.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Moby
Cruiser

That's a good suggestion (letting the dealer hold onto the SERT). Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have a dyno; there is an independent shop they refer their customers to, but I'm concerned about putting a new (not broken-in) bike on a dyno. I think I'll talk to the service manager and see what he has to say. If necessary I'll buy the SERT from someone other than the dealer and worry about warranty issues if they occur.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run a power comander or one of the other add ons and when and if you have an engine problem just disconnect it and the settings go back to the Harley too hot. It depends on the dealer. Mine say they will get harley to cover it if the AFR is correct and not leaner than the 14.7 that harley did.
I run stock ecm and tricked it to stay open loop as if you first run the engine. With what i added it stays from 12 to 1 to 13.5 to one.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
texan321
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rjrivero

The ECM Flash is the same as the canned maps available with the SERT. The true strength of the SERT is in the ability to custom tune the bike. If done right, the warranty impact would be MINIMAL. Why do I say that? IN order to deny a warranty claim, the dealer must prove the add on part caused the failure.

So if the SERT is on a bike, and you have a bearing failure, then they have to PROVE the SERT caused a bearing failure.

Understanding if you burn up a valve, or piston, then they would have to prove the failure was caused by the fuel delivery modifcation from the SERT, a much easier argument to win.

This makes a good read on warranties. Link Here.

If you are planning on doing any engine work down the road, take it from me and get the SERT.

RJ

The problem that I have with this whole thing is this - The dealer installed my true dual Rineharts - SERT and SE Air Filter. They used the "canned Map" without a dyno because the bike was brand new. After my 1,000 mile service - I took it over to an indie to get it dynoed - it was spot on. Now to my issue - the problem I am going to have if something goes wrong - because the SERT was installed - as we say in TEXAS I call BULL$HIT ........because if it was going to create an issue or void the warranty - the dealer 1. should not have installed it 2. Made me sign a release stating that it was going to void my warranty 3. not sold me an extended warranty.
Now the point to all this is - if something happens and they try to blame it on having a SERT - they had best get ready. I did not spend that much money on a bike to get jerked around........cripes!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Elusive 1
Advanced

I have a Road King that the ship date is 12/11/07 and the SERT was the first thing I got. There is a box at the dealer with other stuff for the bike when it comes in. I have the SE stage 1 A/Cwith the K&N replacement, and SuperTrapp SE mufflers. The dealer have no problem with this if they install.