Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Motorcycle Electrical Book

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Electrical Book

Motorcycle Electrical Book
I would like to give a heads up about a book that may help some riders here, if someone already has posted it here sorry, I didn’t find it.
I’ve have known some of the best HD wrenches, that could make ones head spin on tearing down a v twin and wire it back up, but ask them to do a little more than lay a probe over a circuit to check voltage, and the eyes get clouded over : - )
I am an electrical designer by trade in the chemical and nuclear industries, so when a new book on electrical systems for motorcycles only, comes out I want to see it, I just sent for it and I think it’s the best one I ever seen IMO, yeah how many were they anyway : - )
The name of it is : Motorcycle Electrical Systems: Troubleshooting and Repair by Tracy Martin
MBI Publishing Company St. Paul, MN on-line at: www.motorbooks.com or call 800-826-6600
But I got it for $19.95 off Tracy’s web site: http://www.tracyamartin.com/ just click on upper right, Books, got it in two days.
Below is what’s on the cover besides a Harley he is using a volt/ohm meter on.
Understanding Electrical Principles
Choosing and using tests and tools
Reading wiring diagrams
Testing ignition and fuel injection
Adding electronic accessories
The book is filled with simple well done diagrams so just about any rider can understand, but read fully the first 3 chapters, voltage drop testing is most likely worth the price of the book alone, one can save a lot of time and money on what IS wrong, using a V.D.Testing it’s better to find out a simple starter button is the cause of starting failure than pulling a starter out, not to leave out the "Troubleshooting Electrical Systems" once you see the simple wiring diagrams, just use that procedure with your wiring diagram for your model.
The book contains some of the best pictures and diagrams I’ve seen in this kind of tech book’ approx 160 pages, filled with info on what ones needs to do some checking, from home made test gear, right to the top volt/ohm meter Fluke, but one doesn’t need lots of money to check out his/her ride.
The book comes in handy if you just want to isolate a bad or faulty item, even if you can’t do the job or don’t want to, you know what’s wrong with the bike "before" bringing it to a dealer.
Believe me, this $20 bucks, is one of the best values going for your ride.
Oh, don’t be too crappy if there is a picture of non-HD component like starter, relays etc or a picture of a bmw, the book is done for all rides after, it’s electrical : - )
Good luck,
[left][/lef

Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle Electrical Book

Thanks for the heads up. I'm willing to give it a try.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
tigerhd1
Stage IV

Thanks!! I needed that! Just ordered today , will use as soon as I receive it!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
HogGlider
Tourer

Those Motorbook Workshop books are a great line of reading material. I picked up the "101 Twin Cam Performance Mods" book a couple months back, granted not a whole lot for the 96" motors in there, it still has a lot of good general information to help a guy out. I am waiting for christmas to come around (hoping the g/f got the hint), for the Fuel Injection Book to appear on my desk

Old 12-05-2007, 01:05 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

rjrivero and tigerhd1,

I really hope you guys like it, do us all a favor after looking it over a bit come back and post what you think of it, I would like to hear different opinions on the book, I am pretty high on it as I said the best of I’ve seen to date, I learned a few things myself some short cuts and tips, just because I am electrical designer doesn’t make me no expert on hd elec sys, I know my share but I work on 480 V, 2300 V, 400 hp motors and instrumentation in my field.

I was lucky to know about voltage drop testing, by far the most important thing to know checking out bikes and cars, besides basic trouble shooting,

Take care, and btw- no I don’t make a dime on it : - )

cj