Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

05 FXDCI cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 FXDCI cranks but won't start

I got my bike out for the first time yesterday and rode about 45 miles. It was recently serviced and had PCIII installed and it ran like a raped ape! I stayed at a friend's house and it started to snow this morning, so we decided to trailer it back to my house. I started it up and loaded it on the trailer. It is a drop bed trailer, so I had to ride it up pretty steep. It died at the top, but I didn't think anything about it because it was cold. When we got to my house and unloaded it, it wouldn't start. It just cranks and cranks. I checked all of the fuses and they seem fine. Could I have somehow tripped the bank sensor? If so, does anyone remember the procedure for resetting it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:10 PM
speedman
Intermediate
Default RE: 05 FXDCI cranks but won't start

The first thing I would try would be to disconnect the PCIII and see if it starts with just the ECM in place.

SM

Old 01-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had tripped the bank sensor it would say "TIP" on the odometer readout. Clearing it just requires turning the bike off then on again, so probably not the problem.

Last change is the first suspect -- I'd bypass the PCIII. After that, the classic diagnostic is Fuel, Air and Fire. Make sure you have fuel in the tank. Make sure you hear the fuel pump start up when you hit the run switch. Chances of not having air are slim, I'd jump straight to the fire -- make sure you're getting a spark.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+3

DougJ

Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips guys. I removed all of the fuses and relays and left them out for about 30 seconds and put them back in. She fired right up. I guess it had something to do with the ECM not receiving a signal from the turn signal module and it gave a code for "invalid password" or something and blah, blah, blah. I guess this isn't all that uncommon with the Delphi EFI system. The movers are coming to pick her up tomorrow and cart her off to Raleigh, NC. At least I feel better knowing she runs before she leaves. Hopefully we will have a joyous reunion on Thursday[sm=Awwww.gif].