Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HQ 113" build

Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
stevek
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HQ 113" build

I spoke to Kevin at HQ about doing a 95" kit a while back, but, I have decided to do the 113". I've spent so much $$$$ on this motor ( 2001 Heritage) with out getting what I thought I should by now ie., se95" big bore, tw 50 geaar driven cams and a street port job on the heads. 76 hp and 89 tq. I figured what the hell, if I'm gonna crack this thing open again, I might as well do it right this time! Any how, whenI spoke with Kevin I told him I was running an early version of the TV2 ( the spliced in one not plug and play)and he said I could keep using it but, I would need to get an SERT which he could provide a map for that would get me close to where I needed to be, and then the TV2 would dial the FI in the rest of the way. My questions are, if I have a stage 2 download on the ecm do I need to spend even more money on a SERT or is there possibly another ecm flash or download that would get me close? Also, I'm not sure what comes with the SERT , but ifIcan find someone that has one canI use it on my ecm or is there an actual piece of hardware that piggybacks on to the ecm, like a PCIII or the TVII?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:42 PM
rredneckn
Cruiser
Default RE: HQ 113" build

U say u have 95 inch ported heads and a tw5 cam u should be seeing mid 90 hp high 90 torque .What exuast are u running? Sert or tmax is agood tuner for u.The sert is a module that links to the stock ecm for tuning and marries itself to only 1 ecm .It requires a dyno tune for best results.From what I have seen the tuner u have is better suited for stock engines with exuast and breather mods.Your number can improve greatly with a GOOD tuner and a good pipe.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I hate to spend money I don't have to spend, but there is no way your are going to get good performance with what you have now or the HQ 113 without a SERT or other fuel/ignition management device.

Most likely the TVII you are running may deal okay with fuel, but there is a lot of timing to change with the build you currently have which the TVII can't do; a dealerflash seems extremely unlikely to provide the necessary timing adjustments either.

Kevin is currently finishing an HQ 113 and will tune his bike; more than likely the map you get will be his map or one close to it which the TVII can use.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 AM
stevek
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I should have mentioned at the time of my last dyno tune I was still running a PCIII and a Rhinehart 2 into 1. The guy who did my tune said he thought the low numberswere because of the pipe. I switched back to TVII because I figured it since I bought itI might as well use it. I like the TVII it seems to work well. Last June in Yellowstone on vacation I was getting awsome fuel milage riding 2 up the whole time: 52 - 53 mpg! Anyway, I'm still running the same pipe and the bike seems to run well, I guess I'm just looking for that Hand of God push on the butt dyno!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So much of what you get or dont get depends on the builder and the tune. Ran TW5Gs, HTCC pistons and heads, PCIII for tune and Rinhart TDS and got 102hp/112tq from an 03 95" that I built. Tuning and building, quench set right, right timing table, just up to but not beyond point of pinging, and enough fuel when you roll on but not too much that it loads the cyls. All difficult to do without a tuner that you can set both timing and A/F across the rpm range and all throttle positions.

If you have spent the money on a 113", get the SERT to set timing and other parameteres, and let the TVII maintain the fuel where you want it. What anoth $400?