Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New ECM download??Same as SERT

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
smokin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New ECM download??Same as SERT

I just got the new SE air cleaner parts to fit a new 2008 touring bike
First - bad news - they changed the filter so my K&N will no longer work - different size and different bolt pattern - Great !
Second - you now need to take the gas tank off to remove a bracket form behind the stock AC assembly
Now to the question - they say " you must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit---download the new ECM calibration using the Digital technician at a H-D Dealer"
is this the same as a SERT or is there a "download" for changing aircleaners??
thank again -in advance
-Smokin

Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New ECM download??Same as SERT

The ECM recalibration from the dealer is completely different than the SERT/Super Tuner....

Recal is just reflashing the ECM with a new map to allow for VERY SPECIFIC mods (AC, Slip-on Mufflers, EITMS, Bigger bore/Stroke, etc).....

Tuning with the SERT is using almost the same maps that the dealer has, but now you have the ability to CUSTOMIZE the maps to allow for other modifications (Higher lift, longer duration cams, Ported heads, oversized bores, etc...) or to fine tune the basic, NON EPA Compliant build for optimum performance.....

Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Roadhog02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the Stage 1 download done by the dealer and is not a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) that you purchase from the dealer for about $450.00

Old 01-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

What they said. And there's no need to remove the fuel tank.

Follow Bingo's install thread; you can't go wrong.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2675768/tm.htm

Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: smokin

Now to the question - they say " you must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit---download the new ECM calibration using the Digital technician at a H-D Dealer" is this the same as a SERT . . . ??

Reply: Shovelhead Bob

The ECM recalibration from the dealer is completely different than the SERT/Super Tuner....
The simple answer, to what I think your question was, is yes. The 'stage I download' from digital technician is the same map as the SERT "A/C & Mufflers" calibration file. Now if you have the SERT you can modify the mapby having it tunedon a dyno. The digital tech download cannot be edited, what you see is what you get.

In diagnosing problems with customer bikes I've retrieved map data from the ECM using my shop dongle. There were questions whether the dealership had downloadeda stagemap.

Last fall I had a 2002 RK with serious driveability issues. The dealer had installed a stage II 1550, FT pistons, 203 cams and a stage II download. He complained about surging, sluggish performance; the dealer blamed the tank liner coming off clogging the in tank fuel filter and replaced the fuel tank; didn't fix the problem so they basically kicked the guy to the curb. So he came to me.

I retrieved the calibration data from the ecm and the SERT calibrationID was 105EV076 which corrersponds to part number 32853-02 which is1550 ST2 02-04 TOUR 01-03 FLSTSI DTECH$149.95

I know this is hard to believe but I found the problem. The dealer had switched the injector plugs, the front wires were on the rear injector and the rear wires on the front injector.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
smokin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting smarter but still not there!!
I'm done making changes to the engine - SE slips ons and the SE air cleaner- done done done
do I need to spend $450 for the SERT or is there a "download" that the dealer can perform for these 2 minor changes for less $$$??
I'm not looking to squeeze every last HP out of this - just want it to run properly with the pipes and SE AC - pipes are the 2006 Supertrapp that are no longer "legal" and so no longer offered
bought them off Ebay
basically I would rather spend $150 and get about what I need than spend $500 for another 4 horsepower or so
Hope I'm making sense
the instructions allude to a "download" which is what is driving this question - they do not specifcally call for a SERT and re-mapping
hence the uncertainty
thanks again
-Smokin

Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While not the best option, the Stage 1 download from the dealer would work for you with the constraints you have mentioned. I think it is about a buck fifty or so. It does not require a SERT and can be done at the dealership.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

BUY A POWER COMMANDER 3 FROM FUELMOTOAND THEN E-MAIL ME I HAVE DYNO MAPS ALL READY FOR YOUR COMB JUST E-MAIL AND I WILL SEND ONE TO YOU. I HAVE DYNO MAPS READY FOR 08 BAGGERS WITH SE AIR CLEANERS AND SE MUFFLERS AND PYTHONS, V&H BASSIC MUFFLERS AND A FEW MORE COMBOS. NOTHING ON TRUE DUALS OR 103 KITS YET..... STILL TUNNING MY DYNO WENT DOWN WAITING TO GET FIXED.

FRANK FROM
D.B.W

Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TickTock

While not the best option, the Stage 1 download from the dealer would work for you with the constraints you have mentioned. I think it is about a buck fifty or so. It does not require a SERT and can be done at the dealership.
Smokin,

WhatTickTock said. MSRP for the stage I dealer download is $149.95. Then they'll probably B ^tt F*&k you with a labor charge to hook up digital tech and download the file. It takesless than 15 minutes; if you take off the saddlebag and the side cover it takes less than 5 minutes.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxrp

ORIGINAL: smokin

Now to the question - they say " you must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit---download the new ECM calibration using the Digital technician at a H-D Dealer" is this the same as a SERT . . . ??

Reply: Shovelhead Bob

The simple answer, to what I think your question was, is yes. The 'stage I download' from digital technician is the same map as the SERT "A/C & Mufflers" calibration file. Now if you have the SERT you can modify the mapby having it tunedon a dyno. The digital tech download cannot be edited, what you see is what you get.

In diagnosing problems with customer bikes I've retrieved map data from the ECM using my shop dongle. There were questions whether the dealership had downloadeda stagemap.

Last fall I had a 2002 RK with serious driveability issues. The dealer had installed a stage II 1550, FT pistons, 203 cams and a stage II download. He complained about surging, sluggish performance; the dealer blamed the tank liner coming off clogging the in tank fuel filter and replaced the fuel tank; didn't fix the problem so they basically kicked the guy to the curb. So he came to me.

I retrieved the calibration data from the ecm and the SERT calibrationID was 105EV076 which corrersponds to part number 32853-02 which is1550 ST2 02-04 TOUR 01-03 FLSTSI DTECH$149.95

I know this is hard to believe but I found the problem. The dealer had switched the injector plugs, the front wires were on the rear injector and the rear wires on the front injector.

You truly are MISINFORMED!!!!!!!!!!

For MY 08, the Stage I D/L from DTII is completely different than the SERT map....

Street Legal/Race:
Street Legal

Digital Tech Part Nbr:
34454-07C/DT

Calibration ID:
34454-07C

Description:
1584 STAGE 1 - HIGH FLOW A/C AND STREET PERFORMANCE EXHAUST

Restricted Power:
Unrestricted - (Full Power)

Req'd Configuration:

Region:
United States of America (Remaining 49 States)

Model Year:

Platform:
Softail

Model:
FXD, FXDB, FXDC, FXDF, FXDL, FXDWG, FLSTC, FLSTF, FLSTN, FXCW, FXCWC, FXST, FXSTB, FXSTC, FLSTC (SHRINE), FLSTF (SHRINE)

Exhaust System:
H-D Slip-On & SE Street Performance (Legal)

ECM/ICM:
32498-05,32498-05A,32534-05,32534-05A,32534-05B,32534-05C,32852-06,32852-07,32852-08,32852-08A

Cylinder Heads:
Original Equipment

Engine Displacement (cc):

Fuel Injectors:
06-08 Twin Cam 25 deg Injector (27709-06 / 06A)

Air Cleaner:
SE High Flow

Throttle Body/Induction

Module:
Original Equipment

Cam Shaft:
Original Equipment

Pistons:
Original Equipment

O2 Sensor:

Original Equipment

The SERT maps are far more aggressive in their VE's as well as the overall performance......

That is why for 06 and back there were 2 different types of calibrations, 1 was for "Legal" performance, and the other was a "Race" application.....

In 07 they (HD) did away with the Race Use calibrations from DT for the models as the EPA came down on the excessive use of them..... as they were designed for "Closed Course Competition".....

You can still get an 06 and earlier Race Use cal, but only for

Quick Reply: New ECM download??Same as SERT