Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Twin tec - backfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Meathooks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin tec - backfire

Howdy all -

I installed a new twin tec 88 with coil & wires on my carburated 03 FXDWG. Set up recommends setting multi-spark to true, initial timing to 5, advance curve to 7.

Since installation, it's harder to start (have to crank it through 2-3 revolutions) and usually backfires when starting. The install booklet and website both say that they are shipped with default of 0 revolutions before initial spark (can be set with software to 1-2 revolutions for high compression engines with compression release).

I've tried setting initial timing back to 4 (retard) and it got worse.
Bumping it up to 6 (more initial advance) doesn't seem to really help or hurt.
Turning off the multi-spark doesn't change anything.

This is a stage 1 modified tc88.

any suggestions? more or less initial timing? is it possibly going into wasted spark mode at start up?

Thanks,
k

Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Default RE: Twin tec - backfire

Make sure you battery has plenty of juice. I had a similar problem with another similar set up and the problem was with the battery not supplying enough power.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Meathooks
Advanced

Ok... I wasn't able to get a booster battery to it but -
I have a 125A load tester that only pulls it down to about 11.4V

after the load test, I charged the battery for about 5 min at 4A, then put the VOM on it

Static battery voltage is 13.2
Cranking volts is 10.6-10.9

I'd be inclined to call that a good battery, but is that too low of voltage for the Twin-tec module?

With the plug wires pulled and old plugs inserted and grounded to engine, the plugs seem to consistantly fire on the 3rd revolution of the engine.

With the consistancy it's showing, unless those readings are out of line, it sure seems to me to have been set to have a spark delay for a high compression engine. I guess that would surely explain why I get a nice boom from the exhaust right before it starts. ;-)

Is there any way to set the spark delay without software and the PC adapter? Twin-tec is not answering my e-mail.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Meathooks
Advanced

OK... after several days, Daytona Twin-tec has finally responded. There was a "small batch" of modules that was sent out with "incorrect programming". I have to send it back to them.

Still no answer as to if it is correctable locally.

later ----
Heard back from Daytona-twintec - it is NOT correctable locally. The module must be returned.

there goes another week.