Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tmax Thundermax Initialization

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 AM
rahall
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tmax Thundermax Initialization

I am trying to initialize the Tmax with AT after a map change.

The instructions are confusing to me.

The setup guide says to check various basic settings such as speedometer cal., ect.

At this point, the ignition switch is on, handlebar switch in run, and linked to Smartlink.

Then it says to initialize the unit.

It says to cycle the ignition switch ON for thirty seconds, then off for thirty seconds, and repeat two more times.

But the switch is already ON. Remember I’m still linked after checking the basic settings.

Does that mean I end up after the three cycles with the ignition in an ON condition?

The setup guide says to then start the bike two times and let set into an idle for 10 seconds.

Does that mean to start, let the idle smooth out, and then wait 10 seconds?

Or, just let the bike run for 10 seconds?
[/b]
I checked the full manual and it doesn’t mention starting the bike twice for 10 seconds at ALL.

Then the setup guide says to start and let the bike head temperature get to 245-285 degrees. I think it says to do this when the bike is cold and it wants you to be linked to the software.

Well, it’s not cold because I just started it twice per the instructions.

It doesn’t idle correctly and I pretty sure it’s because I’m not initializing it correctly.

Would someone please give a clearer one, two, three type procedure for initializing the Thundermax unit?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tmax Thundermax Initialization

They have tech support, give them a call.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can only tell you what worked for me, with a slight variation. Since you may have already screwed up with first run, try this. Remember the the initializing will pump extra fuel into the cylinders and first start may be lumpy but should clear up in about 10 seconds. That's what to look for.
Power to unit as in all switches on and linked up. Clear all learned offsets and then write the map and module settings you made to module. If you updated the firmware, write it to module also. Do not use Auto IAC. Unlink from module and turn switch off.
Pull the ecm fuse for about 2 minutes and then reinstall.
Now do the 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off three times. You will finish with key off.Leave the run switch on all the time and use ignition only.
For first startup turn key on (which is the fourth time)and link to module with the gauges you want displayed.
Start bike, don't touch throttle and observe how it idles, and if good after 10 seconds continue the run to 245-289 temp on gauge.
If the idle sucks after 10 seconds, turn ignition off and restart it again and see if it's smoother. If not it needs to be repeated until you get a smooth idle. The engine may need to cool before doing too many attempts. I don't think this procedure will even be necessary most times as the IAC seems to work out ok on the first startup but if you do it make sure the engine is cold before doing the final(start and run to 245-289 temp). The reason I pull the ecm fuse prior to initializing is the I bought the unit with a preloaded map and did the initializing after the module was loaded. That seem to work ok, so I keep doing it. Other method may work fine but this one makes more sense to me.
Ron

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rahall,

I haven't had any problems initializing my bike and I have made 3 or 4 adjustments since first installing my T Max.

First, I alwaysread my ecm: File > Read Module Map & Settings

Second,clear your learned settings before you make changes. Under Map Editing/Clear “Learned Idle Control Adjustments (IAC)” and Clear “Learned Fuel Adjustments (CLP OFSET)”

Third,make whatever adjustmentsyou want, write them and save them.

Finally, initiliaze the system by:

1.) Turn the ignition on for 30 seconds, making sure the “Run / OFF” Rocker switch is in the “Run” position, DO NOT start the engine at this point or move the throttle during initialization.

2.) After the ignition has been on for 30 seconds, turn the ignition off for 30 seconds.

3.) Repeat Steps 1 & 2 two more times without starting the engine. The module is now installed and initialized.

After that, I just start the bike and ride it. Nothing at all complicated and my bike runs great and holds all the adjustments I have made. Hope this helps, its really easy stuff.

Rick