Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Still Pinging- Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
28gauge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Pinging- Need Some Help

07 Dyna with stage 1, SERT and Dyno Tune. Pinging after HD Dealer tune. Took it to a very competant dyno tuner in Phoenix area. Completely re-tuned, but still had some pinging. Took away some timing in specific areas, improved it, butI still have some slight pinging. Particularly when I roll on quickly at 45 mph in 4th gear. Hard to hear, but it's there.

What do I do here? Do we keep trying to take away timing until we have it or is it something else like a manifold leak. My tuner doesn't think it is;I guess he would see that on the dyno? Sometimes, whenI start the bike up when it is hot, the idle is a little high for a minute or two and then it settles down. Is this normal?

Any advice welcome. Has anyone had to tweak timing several times before they got results?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default RE: Still Pinging- Need Some Help

Any carbon building up in the cylinders???

Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 PM
28gauge
Cruiser

I doubt there is carbon - 2,500 miles on it.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I got your email but I see you have the same question here so let me give it a shot.
You gas isn't the best in the Phoenix area by a long shot so I understand the problem your having, however removing timing over and over again can create problems of its own. You pinging problem is under acceleration (rolling on the throttle) you said so I would go into the AccelEnrichment Tableand add some fuel....this is nothing but an electronic accelerator pump that works ONLY while you roll on the throttle....add .5 to the multiplier between 80C and 144C and see if that doesn't take care of it. If your add too much fuel you will get a puff of black smoke out of the pipes at the worst so don't be scared going into uncharted territory.
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
28gauge
Cruiser

Thanks Doc. I'll suggest this at my next tweak. I live in Tucson and the tweak is 125 mile north.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have a lap top and the SERT with cables (and of course the program) I can walk you through it.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

If you have a lap top and the SERT with cables (and of course the program) I can walk you through it.
And a copy of the map. Seems a lot of folks are getting tunes without getting a copy of the map to take with.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes very true.....thanks for mentioning that.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

I got your email but I see you have the same question here so let me give it a shot.
You gas isn't the best in the Phoenix area by a long shot so I understand the problem your having, however removing timing over and over again can create problems of its own. You pinging problem is under acceleration (rolling on the throttle) you said so I would go into the AccelEnrichment Tableand add some fuel....this is nothing but an electronic accelerator pump that works ONLY while you roll on the throttle....add .5 to the multiplier between 80C and 144C and see if that doesn't take care of it. If your add too much fuel you will get a puff of black smoke out of the pipes at the worst so don't be scared going into uncharted territory.
Let us know how it turns out.
I'm just curious of why you made this statement about the gas in the Phoenix area, what do you know that we don't? As far as I know, other then 91 octane being the highest available at a brand name station like Chevron, I've never heard anything about our gas being inferior. Inever noticed any pinging at all on my bike with 91 octane Chevron.Of course we do get a lot of our gas from Kalifornia so who knows what kind of ***** they're sending us. LOL

Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of places offer 93 and up to 95 octain these days, plus Steve at GMR is telling me the fuel there isn't up to snuff for higher compression motor builds for years now......so I just assumed it was a problem. We got great gas here in Florida, I'll send you a gallon or two if you would like.

Quick Reply: Still Pinging- Need Some Help