Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

what does a fuel pak do?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 AM
gregp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a fuel pak do?

I just put a pair of Python slip on pipes on my 2001 raod king. It has fuel injection. I ma told i need a fuel pak system. Do i really need it and what does it do?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what does a fuel pak do?

Yes, you need one.
The big picture is, Harley Davidson must comply with EPA emission standards. To do this the ignition system is programmed to run the engine very lean. This equates to excess heat. Heat is the enemy of the V-Twin. When you increased your exhaust flow you helped to lean the engine slightly. Your onboard computer will compensate somewhat. Should you change the intake to a high flow AC you will no doubt have over heating shut downs. The computer will dump more fuel as the engine heats up and then it shuts down to save itself. The fuel packs basically lie to the computer sending it false information from the O2 sensors. In turn you get more fuel. Now some fuel packs give you options of changing some parameters of the ignition system. For these adjustments you should seek professional help for your fuel pack. An inexpensive way to help with your modifications is a device that mounts in the O2 sensors cables and helps dump more fuel. I don’t remember the name of them however maybe someone with post a reply and remind me. There is a ton of information on this forum about the different ones out there and most of them work well for what they are. I bought the SERT, Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, for one of my bikes and went with the Thunder Max on the other one. The SERT has base maps for your mods however it should be dynode for precise adjustments. The Thunder Max with the broad band O2 sensors also has base maps then it tunes to a given map that should be best for your conditions. Well anyway good luck and hope you get the help you need.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/C0DCE23D23E94B8D808DD83C3DA031A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It packs your fuel so that is one less thing you need to pack!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2001 model will not have O2 sensors.

Nobody really knows what the Fuel Pak does. It is like a car with the hood welded shut. If you want to be able to tinker with the engine get a PC-III. Anybody can help you with one of those. The V & H device requires you to go directly to them for help with their arcane codes.