Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn Signal Help

Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Help

Hello all -

I've got turn signal problems on my 1991 FXRS.&nbsp\\; I just installed new "harley" turn signals on the front of my bike.&nbsp\\; They replaced a pair of aftermarket ones that had (2) wires.........(1-Red &amp\\; 1-Black).&nbsp\\; The harley turn signals had a Black Wire (which I assumed was ground)...........a Purple Wire (which I assumed was the "hot" for turn signals.....................and a Blue Wire (which I assumed was for running lights).&nbsp\\; I attached the "New Black Wire" to the "Old Black Wire".&nbsp\\; I attached the "New Purple Wire" to the "Old Red Wire"...............and I just cut and taped the "New Blue Wire."&nbsp\\;

When I first start my bike up................the lights are constantly "on" (as running lights) and the turn signals work just fine.&nbsp\\; Then after about a minute or so, the front bulbs go "out" and the rear turn signals stay on (but they get brighter and the turn signals don't work).&nbsp\\; If I turn the bike off for a minute or so...............and then turn it back on...............everything works fine again............until a minute later.................and then the process repeats.&nbsp\\;

Is it possible that my bike is not meant to run front running lights.......................and the new ones being constantly "on" is overheating them?&nbsp\\;

My wiring diagram labels the stock lights as "Directional and Running Lamps."&nbsp\\;

The diagram shows (2) wires (both Black) running from the stock turn signals.&nbsp\\; Only difference between the two is that one has "Silver Wire" and one has "Copper Wire."

Thanks for the help -

Mark

P.S.&nbsp\\; I've attached the wiring diagram...............see post below.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced
Default RE: Turn Signal Help

Here's a better Wiring Diagram Image:

[IMG]local://upfiles/28579/DC4AB000D3304014B7C412E0619ADA5B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

BUMP

Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

BUMP

Old 06-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

for some reason all I get is the little white box with red cross when you try to download your picture

Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

the lights you took off difn't have leds for bulbs did they ? If so check there isnt a balast resitor pactehd in somewhere. Also have you tried putting the old lights back on to see if the problem goes away ?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

I'm gonna take em' apart today and check the voltage.&nbsp\\; When I do I'll reconnect the old ones to see if they work.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Ribcracker -
&nbsp\\;
Maybe try to click on the "attachment (1)" and save it...................instead of clicking on the thumbnail image???&nbsp\\; If it still won't work.........and you think the wiring diagram would help.............let me know and I'll find a way to send it to you.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks -
&nbsp\\;
Mark

Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

Thanks for all the input so far guys.&nbsp\\;This thing is a real PITA!&nbsp\\; I'm gonna check voltage as well as reinstall the old signals to see if they still function correctly.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'll be gettin' back to ya.

Mark

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

Ok..........so I just detached the left turn signal on my bike.&nbsp\\;To recap.............the new signals I put on are stock harley T/S (front) with (3) wires.........purple, blue, black.&nbsp\\;My bike had aftermarket front T/S on it that I replaced............but they only had (2) wires....black and red.&nbsp\\;I had connected the new Purple Wire to the old Red wire...................and the New Black wire to the Old Black............and just cut and taped the New Blue Wire off.&nbsp\\;

I checked my voltage on my left signal wires (1-black &amp\\; 1-red).&nbsp\\;When I hooked up my meter with Black Volt Meter wire -to- Black T/S wire..................and Red -to- Red..............I got a negative reading.&nbsp\\;

When I hooked up my Black Volt Meter Wire -to- Red T/S wire...............and Red Volt Meter Wire -to- Black T/S wire.................I got a steady reading of 11V.&nbsp\\;

So................I thought that the original owner could have reversed the wires on accident................reversed polarity???&nbsp\\;

So I switched the wires leading to my NEW T/S.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So then I had New Purple Wire -to- Black ...................and New Black Wire -to- Red.................New Blue wire still clipped.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Same thing happens.&nbsp\\;They worked fine for a minute and then shut off.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So I then reinstalled my old turn signal (on the left side only) and tried it.&nbsp\\;It worked fine and then shut off.............although I think that they stayed on quite a bit longer.&nbsp\\;I'm thinking this is because the old T/S are only single filament and don't pull as much juice.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I then reversed the wires on the Old T/S .......................so I had Black -to- Red .................and Red -to-black......................same thing happened.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Any thoughts?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
P.S.&nbsp\\;This was confusing to type................so I can only imagine how confusing it is to read!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

Some more thoughts..................just in case anyone is actually reading these.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've noticed that my rear turn signals stay on as running lights all the time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They are aftermarket lights that were on when I bought the bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'm thinking that this may be the problem?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Maybe too much juice is being used to run the rear turn signals as running lights...........and causing the new front ones to overheat and shut off?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Another thing I'm wondering is.............how can the new turn signals I put on the front be working as running lights if I have only connected the (2) wires (purple and black)???
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The blue is supposed to be the running light wire.............and it is just cut short and taped?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I have a 'Badlands' turn signal module on the bike....................but I always assumed that it was a module that made the lights "self cancelling."
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Any help is greatly appreciated.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks -
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Help