Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2001 Deuce Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
BKDeuce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Deuce Starting Problem

Picked up clean 2001 Deuce about a month ago.&nbsp\\; Had what&nbsp\\;appears to be 1100 original miles.
&nbsp\\;
Starter button has begun to work intermittantly.&nbsp\\; Doesn't appear to be a weak battery (less than a year old according to battery).&nbsp\\; Always&nbsp\\;turns and fires strong when it does decide to respond to button being pressed.&nbsp\\; Seems to be worse when bike and outside temperatures are hot (S. Florida climate)or when it's sat for a few days.&nbsp\\; Sometimes I'll have to hold my thumb down on the switch for 5-10 seconds before any response.&nbsp\\; Sometimes it helps if I apply firm pressure to the center of the switch and then "roll" my thumb down while pressing switch.&nbsp\\; Sometimes it doesn't work at all.&nbsp\\; If I leave it and come back in an hour or two it might be fine and fire right up.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Is it possible it's just a bad switch needing replacement or possibly a relay, etc...?
&nbsp\\;
Ordered a HD shop manual from dealer-hasn't come in yet.
&nbsp\\;
Any input would be appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Deuce Starting Problem

The starter switch has been known to fail and the relay has been known to fail even more so I would try a new relay first just because iit is the easiest fix of the two.&nbsp\\; If you had the manual it tells you how to check the relay with the multimeter.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
BKDeuce
4th Gear

Thanks for the fast reply Doc.
&nbsp\\;
Is the relay (Starter relay?) one of the items situated just behind the battery near the fuse center?
&nbsp\\;
If it is...looks like an inexpensive snap-in item.&nbsp\\; If not...can you give me an idea where to look.
&nbsp\\;
Also, is switch a snap-in component (once I have the control housing cover removed?) as well?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

The starter relay is where you said it is and it is a snap to replace, however the starter and run switch (combo) is a screw in and snip wires, re soldier, tuck away neatly, pinch a wire a couple of times as you assemble...(no don't do that )..lol.&nbsp\\; The switches are a pain in the butt to change.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
BKDeuce
4th Gear

&nbsp\\;
I'll pick up a switch package as well as a relay.
&nbsp\\;
For the costs involved, may as well replace both and forget about it.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for the advice.
&nbsp\\;
BK
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Sport King
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; When it rains it pours&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Im hearing a lot of this problem lately. I still have it also and its not the relay. I have a hard time beliving the switch is heat sensitive but maybe because it works if I let it sit awhile Rather than finger the button I carry a jumprr wire and go from the solenoid to the plus cable and away I go . Maybe I should go back to riding my KICKSTART

Old 07-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Sport King
Road Captain

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Why cant they fix this forum ?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Sport King
Road Captain

&nbsp\\; By the time I write what I want it boots me off

Old 07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

&nbsp\\; This is from Sport King
&nbsp\\;
I would carry a multi meter to analyze what would happen when it didn't start. I would pull the connector from the solenoid then check for voltage when the button was pressed . That confirmed to me the button was working .I &nbsp\\;believe I would get say 10.8 - 11 Volts now that's with ignition on and headlights on.&nbsp\\; Also I am able to hear the contacts slam in the solenoid when this problem happens . I&nbsp\\;have checked them for alignment or pitting .&nbsp\\; This normally would make me thing the problem is either a bad hold in winding in the solenoid or a dead spot in the armature .&nbsp\\; But when I place a jumper from the battery cable attached to the starter to the solenoid it starts .&nbsp\\; Doc&nbsp\\; can you cast some opinion on this ? Eventually I will change the switch pair but as you said its a big PITA especially when its wired internally through the handlebars

Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

I say it's the relay

Quick Reply: 2001 Deuce Starting Problem