Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ENGINE LITE ON

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Jimi D Pirate
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE LITE ON

I own a 2000FXST twin cam: My problem is I get an engine lite on while driving. speedo and odometer not working and turn signals not cancelling

Old 08-04-2008, 06:38 PM
arkeglide
Advanced
Default RE: ENGINE LITE ON

This may not be the problem. but I would check the battery cables first. Make sure they are tight and clean. I had the same symtoms before and found the positive cable was loose.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Jimi D Pirate
2nd Gear

I ran a dignostic on it and ... 1 blink after 6 fast blinks and 6 blinks tells me total 16 "Battery problems?" It is a new battery and voltage is 12.9v. I disconneted the battery and I did have a loose cable. hooked it back up and worked fine for about a mile! Could it be a short?

Engine lite comes on and goes off like it should when starting, it is when I start to ride off the needle goes south and the odometer disappers! Otherwise she runs fine!

Last edited by Jimi D Pirate; 08-11-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your grounds. Make sure all are tight and clean there can be corrosion on the ground points as well as the battery. Also check the engine strap ground.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Locmoss
4th Gear

Had the same problem come up on my 06 lowrider, had a code of U1097 which is "loss of speedometer serial data to ECM" Speedo dropped to 0 and RPM dropped for about 2 seconds while ridin. I washed it Thursday night and code showed up Friday am. Was thinkin I got something wet....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Locmoss
4th Gear

pulled my fuses and found a little corrosion and cleaned off and fixed the problem

Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Jimi D Pirate
2nd Gear

Thanks Guys ... I checked my grounds and cleaned my fuses, tightend up my cables and no workie God I hate to take it to the stealer I mean dealer!

Any more suggestions before I bite the bullet?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Jimi D Pirate
2nd Gear

I have been driving my bike to and from work for several weeks ... only 6 miles one way. Well I went on a 150 mile run this weekend and after 10+ miles my engine lite went off , my speedometer and odometer started working. My turn signals also would cancell! Everything worked fine. Until

I came to our first stop it started over again, but after 10 or so miles they worked again. My bike is teasing me!

Does this sound like a sensor to anyone.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Need to hear from one of the electrical gurus on here.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Locmoss
4th Gear

Jimi, I have the same problem, thought I had it fixed, went on a short ride, no problem, saturday left the house, 30 miles down the road, no speedo or rpm and signals..... Pulled over at gas station, messed around with it, still couldnt fix it, so i said heck with it im goin on. Went to pull out and guess what all works.... 30 moe miles down the road, it all happens again.. went on all day works dont work, works dont work. I checked all connections battery, fuses, wires, I even made sure I had gas...HA Im lost, so if u find a answer let me know. We even rode it tonight about 10 miles, no problem.... But Im still pluggin away at it. Tryin to figure out if its something in the ECM. Anyone out there that can help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ENGINE LITE ON