Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Confused about Fuel Paks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Confused about Fuel Paks

Hello,
I am new here, but, I am learning a lot. I have a problem. I have a 07 Road King Classic and a 07 Sportster 1200 Low. I want to do all kinds of MODS to it this winter. I have a good friend that is a Certified Harley Mechanic and has told me that 1 in 5 bikes that have any type of Fuel Pak start on fire. He told me that the only way is the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. Can anyone shed some advice on this for me. I have never dealt with Fuel Injection before. I am trying to do the MODS (exhaust, high flow A/C) at a reasonable cost. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first comment would be that your Good Friend is not a good Mechanic. That is a terrible generality. So he is saying 20% of all bikes using a Fuel pack will catch Fire? That is a big BS.

If you are planning on doing multiple mods then it would be worth your investment to choose one of the EFI Tuners that allow the owner to tune via PC. You should also invest in an O2 analyzer. If you do not understand any of the above then you should probably get the Fuel Pak since you do not need a PC just a build chart and a program Code.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:24 AM
MICHALISLARNACA
Cruiser
Exclamation Fuel Pak

My dear friend,

Tell your mechanic that a harley is a motorbike that has two wheels and loves to be on the road!!!!!!!

That is what I think his level of skill is!!!!!!!

To begine with electrical fires on harleys are so rare that in my last 15 years of riding and 6 variations of bikes I HAVE NOT SEEN OR HEARD about it.

The fuel Pak and PCII are the most cost effective and correct way to tune the bike. Ask your "mechanic" to explain the 20% fire start. Just to let you know a recall is posted at 1-2% OF TOTAL PRODUCTION.

The only reason dealers recommend the SE module is money in their pockets.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate

Thanks for your input. Here is another question. What is recommended for the EFI? What brand for the PC and what kind of Fuel Pak. There are so many Fuel Paks out there, that I am not sure which is the best. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by bryce95racing; 09-21-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate

Sorry, guess I asked too quick here. Anyways, what does everyone suggest for exhaust and A/C for both bikes. I was thinking rush. I heard the sound on a Road King and loved it. I am just not sure what size baffles for both. I want loud, but not to loud where I make the neighbors mad. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

First you need to decide if you are going for look or performance. Because some of the Air Cleaners that look cool do not always breathe the best. And some of the Exhaust pipes that flow to good push the torque curve out of the window.

And yes there is a difference between Torque and Horsepower.

When people say PC here they are usually referring to the DYNOJET POWER COMMANDER III USB.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate

Wallyn,
Thanks for being patient. I am actually going for both. I want performance without sacrificing sound and look. I also am trying to stay within a budget for both bikes. I am not a millionaire but want to do it right.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

No Problem. keep an open mind and surf the boards. There is a lot of combined experience on here.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate

Great. Again, greatly appreciate the help. I will keep in touch with you.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate

I have been reading for about 2 hours now. It seems that Rush is the way to go for both bikes. Everyone loves them. I was thinking 2.0 for the Sporty and 2.25 for the Road King, both with the Stage 1 kits. My question is, when I order the PCIII, does it automatically come with the downloads that I need? Or does I have to keep purchasing the correct downloads? Sorry, 1 more. With the 2.0 and 2.25 baffles, is there a comparison with sound like 2.25 sound similar to Rhinhart?

Quick Reply: Confused about Fuel Paks