Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Run switch short on 97 Sportster..maybe?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Run switch short on 97 Sportster..maybe?

OK, a few days ago I put on some new handlebars, which is probably where the problem started. A day or 2 later my run switch quit working - the bike would run but nothing happened when I switched it off, so I had to use the key to turn it off.

I assumed it was some sort of short in the switch.

Saturday I took the right controls apart and couldn't see any obvious problem inside the housing. Today, my bike is having more problems (1) the run switch still does nothing when switched off, but (2) the bike will die suddenly, then I hit the ignition button a couple of times and nothing happens, then it cranks up, but dies after 3 seconds, then after a few tries it will crank up and run, then die again later.

My only guess is that a short somewhere is causing the run switch circuit to be shorted to the run position at times, regardless of the switch ityself and to be in the off position at other times, regardless of the switch.

Any ideas what to look for or anything?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never mind, just a "pinched wire." While I have read that there is no such thing as a "pinched wire," and that makes sense to me, I also read on another forum about making sure your control wires didn't get pinched in the brake lever clamp when you put on new handlebars. I had them pinched in the clamp bad. Fixed that and the run/kill switch works just like it's supposed to. Took the opportunity to tweak the handlebar angle a little and run the cables and wires between the risers for a little neater look. I feel a lot better now.