Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Push Starting an EFI bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:31 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK So could you add a Kicker? Not that you would want to but could you?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:49 AM
hdslam
Tourer

They would more than likely be changing out the stator when they got back after jumping it with the truck battery. I too have push started an EFI. Second gear and vvvvrrroooommm.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:03 AM
HawgMan_renamed
Road Warrior

A deer ran out in front of me once going to work...I locked it down, missing the deer and killed the motor, while still rolling I eased out on the clutch and it started up again. That was A very close call I might add.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyn
OK So could you add a Kicker? Not that you would want to but could you?
If you mean kickstarter... first no way I'd want to kick start 96cubes Second... same thing as pushing: not enough juice to the fuel pump? no start.

As for jump starting.... I'd get one of those portable/ rechargeable 'power station' type to jump start with.... car battery at last resort, with the donor car NOT running.

But again, I'd say if the battery was not completely dead, just down enough that it can't spin the motor, then pushing is viable.

Only my opinion of course, and can be overridden by those with greater HD knowledge than me.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

As for Jump Starting. Your Harley components should be OK as long as you start off of the battery alone. If the donor vehicle is running that can cause harm to the bikes battery and charging system.

12 vlts is 12 vlts. It is the charging amps that would damage the bike.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:32 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never seen any bike damaged by jump starting with the donor engine running. I do it with the engine running every time. I think it's just a rumor. A running car charges at 14.4 volts. A running motorcycle charges at 14.4 volt. same same. The motorcycle will only draw as many amps as it needs to do the job, it won't hurt it. Just make sure you don't drive the motorcycle with the weak battery any high speeds or long distance until you get the battery charged back up with a battery charger. The bike isn't designed to charge a completely dead battery, if you try, it could overload and overheat the stator/regulator.

Hogdoctor

Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyn
I have a question for you all. Is it possible to push start an EFI bike?

I was at the RENO Street Vibrations looking out my Hotel window on Sunday watching two guys pushing a Copper Top around the parking lot trying to push start it.
I dont beleive It!Were they in the El Dorodo parking lot?I watched the same thing from my Silver Lagacy room.
What was funny was there was more than one volunter pushing the bike.
It was also interesting watching those two trucks with trailers trying to get out of the parking lot with that bike in the way.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM
wallyn
Road Captain

Yep right across the street from my room. I left before the trailers started to move out.

That was a good weekend rally. Looking forward to next year!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hogdoctor
I've never seen any bike damaged by jump starting with the donor engine running. I do it with the engine running every time. I think it's just a rumor. A running car charges at 14.4 volts. A running motorcycle charges at 14.4 volt. same same. The motorcycle will only draw as many amps as it needs to do the job, it won't hurt it. Just make sure you don't drive the motorcycle with the weak battery any high speeds or long distance until you get the battery charged back up with a battery charger. The bike isn't designed to charge a completely dead battery, if you try, it could overload and overheat the stator/regulator.

Hogdoctor
You are abs correct DR. I stand corrected.

..... humorous actually, considering my profession, that I forgot in this situation also... you can't 'push' current, it has to be pulled.

The following users liked this post:
arnold_schachat (09-23-2022)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM
bobbyfatboyg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great post. Would an '11 FatBoy 96B have cam sensor?

True for a 2011 FLSTF ? No cam sensor? Seems crazy to me for HD to be relying on speed changes due compression. Like tail wagging an inconsistent dog! What dies a cam sensor cost: $1.50 or so? Why they in 2000 did away with sensor?

Originally Posted by hogdoctor
Glens sayz: "each cylinder having its own coil doesn't have to mean that the coil only fires on the compression stroke. Wasting a harmless spark on the exhaust stroke or a half-shot of fuel then (which itself wouldn't be wasted at any rate) is a lot simpler to implement than monitoring the acceleration rates of the crank speed pickup. "

The HD twin cam is a true single fire ignition and injection system. Nothing is wasted.
Besides, a half shot of fuel on the backside of a closed intake valve will quickly drop out of it's atomized state back into a dribble and not burn completely,, the EPA would never allow that. It's fine for Lucas injection, but not for the Harley.

While it's true that the ECM knows the position of the flywheel at all times, it does NOT have any direct knowledge of the camshaft's position without the cam sensor which was eliminated for several reasons. The engine has to figure it out when you start cranking the engine. If it cannot figure it out, then you get no spark. This is why if you pull the spark plugs on a twin cam and try to test the spark cranking the engine over, sometimes
you won't get any spark.. there's no compression so the module can't figure out which coil to fire. It is absolutely pertinent, because you might have the same situation when trying to push start a bike.

My sources? Many trips to Juneau ave in Milwaukee for factory training, Many years experience troubleshooting these systems for a living. Any documentation is classified and copyrighted, so I can't divulge any of it. You'll just have to trust me.

Hogdoctor