Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm not in Iowa but.. I have used 2 different tablets (initially a Motion CL900, now a Surface Pro2) mounted to left handlebar for tuning. 3 words to the wise;
1. Doing this is not a safe method for tuning but it works for me.
2. invest in the CORRECT Ram mounts for your Surface unless you want to see your $1200+ investment sliding down the road behind you.
3. the USB cable you use if you tune with the surface, take a pair of plier and squeeze gently together, the outside silver housing of the USB cable so it will fit tight in the USB plug on the tablet. Nothing more aggravating that making a run only to find you didn't collect any data because of a bad connection.

Bottom line is a MS Surface tablet is no different than a laptop or desktop. Same operating systems (or similar versions) and will all do the same thing, the same way.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:59 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Flight Recorder does not need any kind of PC on the bike while using it... thats why its called the flight recorder.

That being said... having some kind of monitor on the bars wll greatly aid in filling out the Histogram while riding, but this would be done in regular mode and not flight recorder mode.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Jenady
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True or False

After using Mastertune your ECM will no longer accept calibrations from other tuners, even Harley's.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenady
After using Mastertune your ECM will no longer accept calibrations from other tuners, even Harley's.
You are absolutely 100% correct.

To resolve that issue you simply put the stock calibration back in. If you don't have the stock calibration for one reason or another call TTS. They can help.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenady
So.. let's get all the facts here.

Starting with TTS MT7 files, when a map is written to the ECM by the TTS device, the ECM is now locked and that is by design. This prevents techs at the dealerships and Indys who like to reflash people's ECMs to try and solve an issue from doing so.

As Wiz stated, if you ever have an issue and need to bring the bike into the dealership for repairs/service you simply connect your TTS to the ECM, flash the stock map back in, they are able to do whatever they need to do, then when you get it back, re-flash your TTS map back to the bike.

Imagine paying someone $400 to tune your bike with the TTS and you leave that tuner without a copy of your finished map. You later on have issues with the bike and the TTS doesn't lock the ECM. Dealership or Indy overwrite your $400 tune file, you don't have copy of your tune file from your tuner, now you're stuck with having to go back to the tuner and hope he's still got your map. If not, guess what? Another $400 for another tune to get your bike running properly.

Very few people seem to have an issue with this but apparently you do and it's probably because of a past experience with the TTS device and you not knowing what it actually does.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser
Default Giving it a shot

started from scratch with the DTW base map as Wurk suggested and armed with Mr. Wizard's TTS for Dummies and the manual worked my way through a starting cal. and a couple of Vtune runs. I would greatly appreciate if someone could check it out before I get too far along to see if I'm on the right track.
https://app.box.com/s/7f81o5fq8r3wayizmfy6

Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

I see your VE's are really sucking down and taking away a lot of %.

How's the bike feeling at this time?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
stonesmith
Cruiser

definite improvement Wiz. gonna do a few more runs as soon as I get the chance. do you think I started with the right IVO setting?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Post a screen shot of your cam tune graph

Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 AM
RCinLaveen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did an air filter, de-catted the pipe, and installed 4" Rineharts. After the de-catted pipe, and no other changes, the bike ran rough and mileage dropped. Got the Rineharts in and installed, downloaded the recommended file for my bike. Immediately ran great. So far the easiest mod I've done (besides the wife's cup holder)

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information