Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

thundermax issue for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 AM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thundermax issue for newbie

Hi guys... I installed my thundermax, pipes, air, got it up and running, lowered down my rpm to about 720 in 100 rpm increments, took it for a couple hundred km today, and it ran great. At the end of the ride, however, the idle doesn't come back down, when I am shifting, rolling off on the throttle, and even coming to a stop.

Now, I think (know) I made a few hasty mistakes when installing the map and getting the module all sorted, my question is, can I just erase the info off the module, start over from scratch from step one with the original map, and this time pay a bit more attention?

Also, I noticed on a thundermax help site a specific "IAC Auto" button next to "Link". My software doesn't have this. After reading the manual, I am still not clear how to auto adjust the IAC (this could be the issue with my high idle... again, hasty install and not paying attention).

Any info if I can
A. erase current map and start over, and
B. how to set the IAC stops,

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, go online and update to latest sofware and update to latest firmware 4.8 .It will have all the newest features you want. Update the module to latest firmware first. Link up and read module map and settings. Go configure, firmware update, choose the latest version and follow the onscreen directions. When this is done go into basic settings and change the idle back to no lower than 940 rpm. Write module map and settings back to module. Unlink with button and initialize unit. Click the link button again and read module maps and settings. Click on iac auto, in map editing, which will remove existing iac points anyway and when screen shows it's ready start engine and when the engine hits 270 the iac will automatically shut off and you are done. Have the temp gauge displayed and the monitor button beside the link button activated before starting engine. Do not touch throttle from start to finish. Click to unlink from module and shut engine off. Disconnect the cable. When you close the software it will ask to save map. That's up to you and not really important at this stage. You can always save the one you have now that's been tuned at any later time you wish.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 01-03-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Default thanks

Thanks, Ron.

On it tomorrow am.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Idling at 700 does not flow enough oil to keep everything lubricated properly, keep it at about 1000 rpm

Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 PM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Default IAC Auto Button?

I don't have this beast on my software... Just have clear and write IAC, CLF OFFSET, Read and Write module maps and settings. Where is the IAC Auto button??

Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look on page 120 of the manual, you can find the manual under the Help pulldown.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Default oh man

Found this in an on-line manual.. My bike is a 2008, so does this mean I don't have to try to figure out this funcion??

This feature is ideal when using the ThunderMax ECM on Gen I H-D two piece throttle
bodies, (Year 2001-2005 models) and aftermarket throttle body or custom engine
applications where the base map does not match the components on the engine.

Most installations performed with H-D Gen II one piece casting throttle body (2006-2009) do not require this function for proper installation.

If you want to use IAC-Auto on a late model (2006 – 2009) motorcycle, go right ahead. Although it may be unnecessary, it will not harm anything to use the function.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 PM
TrevTWN
Intermediate
Default found it in on-line manual

but it is not on my smartlink software 2008.0.1 installed on my computer. Do I need to worry about this function, given that the manual says it is not necessary for 2006-2009 HD?

Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the manual...
"If you want to use IAC-Auto on a late
model (2006 – 2009) motorcycle, go right ahead. Although it may be unnecessary, it will
not harm anything to use the function."

I'd clear all the offsets...start from the beginning with a cold engine, load the map fresh, initialize do the warmup procedure and ride. Don't change anything until you've logged a few miles on it.

Last edited by notlost_nc; 01-03-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add warmup
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevTWN
but it is not on my smartlink software 2008.0.1 installed on my computer. Do I need to worry about this function, given that the manual says it is not necessary for 2006-2009 HD?
2008.1.7.0 is the latest version. You need to update the software to get the auto iac. You should also update the firmware to 4.8. This can all be done by opening the software program and going into configure at the top. Then choose software update followed with firmware update. It has many features will likely use later , so start there before anything else. Short of that, read module map and settings, clear learned iac offsets, change back to normal idle speed as recommended, write module map and settings, initialize and while monitoring the temp start engine and let it reach 270-280. I know the manual is confusing and a pain in the a$$, but it has all you need to get er done. It is in the help section of the software program. The more you work with it the easier it gets. From reading your first post the initialize was botched and the run to temp at idle may have been done incorrectly. This must be done by the book for it to work right. While auto iac is not needed, it works nice if you have it. What model bike do you have this on?
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 01-03-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: thundermax issue for newbie