Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter keeps running, '82 FXR Shovel

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thought line is that a less that great connection of the solenoid contacts would cause a high current in the helper coil of the solenoid. And this might hold the solenoid plunger in.

Starter kits often come with a slug (a washer with no hole in it) that is to be placed under the spring that goes inside the plunger. This applies more pressure to the solenoid contacts.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:52 AM
SAHarley
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid has a backfeed

Originally Posted by shovel52
The things mentioned here are good to look at first. The main thing you need to do is to disconnect the wire going to the starter and get it up and out of harms way. That means make sure it isn't hitting the frame or engine. Then, turn on the ignition and hit the starter button. If the solenoid pushes the starter drive out against the clutch hub and when you release it it falls back where it should be, the wiring is ok and it is probably misaligned, the starter plate is worn or the aluminum flange that the starter is bolted up to is cracked. If the starter drive and solenoid don't release, it is wired wrong. It is not impossible for the solenoid to backfeed and hold the starter engaged. The relays started in about 1980. It isn't impossible for that to fail as well. Some of my oldies have had the switch in the handlebars go bad because they didn't run through relays. All in all, a fresh start with no buggered up wires is a nice as well. Good luck. Ken
Hi, I have a 1986 Electra Glide evo motor and the solenoid has a backfeed even though all the wiring is disconnected and a wire is taken directly from the battery. The starter motor keeps on running the battery is brand new and doesn’t have any problems do you have any idea what this could be?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

My 73 FL would do that every once in awhile. One time it was a solenoid going bad. Another was a weak battery. I got concerned that it would happen when I was out on the road and the run on would kill the battery. Can't kick start the bike with the way that the electronic ignition is set up. Anyway, it's not a bad idea to get a main switch to kill all juice if the starter runs on.