Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TSM/TSSM programing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:59 AM
lsy769
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSM/TSSM programing

I bought a ignition module for my 2004 FXSTS it states in the instructions that i need to consult my owners manual because my TSM/TSSM will need to be synced?

I do not have the alarm (TSSM) so only the TSM and it really does not tell me what i need to do. I see the on-off-on-off-on and then press left TS twice shows one blink means no code. But what do I need to sync up the new module. I was told if i dont do this the bike will not start.

Any help?

Old 10-21-2004, 05:45 PM
BClem
Banned
Default RE: TSM/TSSM programing

read next post....

BClem

Old 10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
BClem
Banned

The procedure is a s follows:

Ign off for at least 15 sec.

Install ICM

Set run/off to run on rt hand control.

Turn ign key on

Wait ten seconds. Security lamp will light and stay on.

Wait until security lamp turns off.

Quickly (within two seconds) turn ign key off-on.

Quickly (within two seconds) turn ign key off - on. (second time)

Quickly (within two seconds) turn ign key off - on. (third time)

Turn ign key off. Wait 15 seconds before turning IGN on. Turn IGN switch on and start the engine to confirm successful password learning procedure. Clear trouble codes.

That should "sync" the ICM to the TSM and ECM.

Sorry for the mix-up before!

BClem

Old 10-21-2004, 07:37 PM
lsy769
6th Gear

Thank you! I will give it a try tonight. I went to harley today and talked to the service department and they just told me I had to bring it in.

Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:17 PM
lsy769
6th Gear

Well that did not work. any other sugestions?

Old 10-22-2004, 12:30 AM
BClem
Banned

Are you saying that the bike would NOT start? All you are doing is allowing the system to recognise the ICM and vice versa. Not rocket science. Explain what happened when you went through the procedure....

BClem

Old 10-22-2004, 01:02 AM
lsy769
6th Gear

yes the bike fires once and then a code gets set.

I started by following the inst.

run to run

turn ing. on once light goes off, turn off-on, once light goes back off off-on, once light goes off, off-on again third time. once light turns off turn ing. back to off wiat 15 sec and the ing. back on and press start.

Did i miss something? Do I have to do something before this proceedure? I really dont want to take the bike into harley. They always seem to do something wrong. I have had 5 bikes over that last 10 years and have always done my own work. This computer stuff sucks. My last bike was a 2002 RK fuel injected. I hated it. always over heated. Found this new springer carb had to have it.

I do very much appriciate your help.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 AM
BClem
Banned

What code is being set?

The procedure includes installing (pluging in the ICM) after a minimum time with the Ign off. Now try pulling the ECM fuse (upper left most 15A fuse under the 40A main) for a minimum of fifteen minutes, then go through the procedure again. A Harley mechanic told me about that trick...

BClem

Old 10-22-2004, 04:49 PM
lsy769
6th Gear

I will play with it again this weekend and let you know. I have a ride to go on today. Whats funny I put the old one back in and everything is fine.

Ride safe

Jim

Old 10-22-2004, 06:53 PM
BClem
Banned

We are overlooking someting very basic. You have reinstalled the old one and "everything is fine" so I'm wondering why the replacement? The old one is not malfunctioning? Do you disconnect the battery when you perform these exchanges?

This is getting interesting, I will delve into finding a solution because my manual says that you must reprogram the ICM/ECM with a 'Digital Technician' available 'only' to Harley mechanics. If this is the case, I'm going to sell this Harley... I refuse to be totally dependent on some inept clown in an "H.D. Mechanic"'s shirt. Bullshit! I'm more disgruntled all the time with Harley Davidson. They're even keeping information from anyone/everyone who purchases their manuals... So a dealer can soak you? Screw that!

I still cannot figure out how an HD mechanic determined that a totally disconnected electronic device was the problem with my 2500RPM high (cold) idle. They are geniuses! They blamed a device that they do not understand but sell and install for 'performance' applications. The manual states that the ECM/ICM can be reprogrammed for higher performance - Stage 1, Stage2, etc., and will continue warranty if THEY install oversized barrels on a twin cam engine. If I install them, the warranty is voided. Lots of contradictions and deception, and entrapment!

Sorry for the rant..., nonproductive.

BClem

Quick Reply: TSM/TSSM programing