Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2003 FXDL starts on one cylinder only.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear

So no, it is not the stator. The stator is part of the recharging system. Lack of fire is part of the ignition system.
No offense meant to you, but I am beginning to wish I had not asked the question here on the forum. I hoped there was some certified Harley tech looking on who might have a suggestion........... pg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
I only mentioned the stator because YOU said your battery ran down a couple of times. Sorry to disappoint you.......why not take the frickin bike to the dealer if your time is so valuable...sheesh

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 02-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the time is certainly passing and I am watching it.
Try checking it a hundred or so times over 0.01s.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can assure you , that you have a bad ground connection somewhere on the bike or inside the negative cable itself. If the cable is stiff, suspect corrosion built up inside the cable and replace it. Otherwise, double check and triple check all of your ground connections.
with the voltage drop you describe, that is where your problem is.

Stroker

Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker1948
I can assure you , that you have a bad ground connection somewhere on the bike or inside the negative cable itself. If the cable is stiff, suspect corrosion built up inside the cable and replace it. Otherwise, double check and triple check all of your ground connections.
with the voltage drop you describe, that is where your problem is.

Stroker
That is a possibility.
For some reason the voltage at the coil connection is 1 volt less than the battery voltage. (However, at present the bike runs fine)

All of a sudden I had fire on both cylinders and it runs normal.
The cables are like brand new, as are all of the connections. No dirt or corrosion anywhere.
The voltage at the coil should be exactly that of the battery, but it is like I said, 1 volt less. I will have to trace the 12V black/white line back to the ignition module and see if there is any problem with the wire.
I am beginning to suspect that the ignition module is failing to make a ground for the rear cylinder wire of the coil....... if that is possible?

Hard to find the problem while the bike runs however. Can't fix something that is currently working.

There is some lonely deserted patch of highway out there just waiting for me to pull up with fire only on the front cylinder. I fear I will find that place soon......... pg

Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM
texasporty
Stage II

I have a 1999 FXDL with the same symptoms you describe here. Did you ever find a fix for this problem. I realize this is an old thread, but it describes my problem better than any I have read.

Thanks

Last edited by texasporty; 03-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by texasporty
I have a 1999 FXDL with the same symptoms you describe here. Did you ever find a fix for this problem. I realize this is an old thread, but it describes my problem better than any I have read.

Thanks
Mark,
Wow! Very old thread indeed.
I never found the problem.
Since my last post (in 2009) I have not had it happen once and I now have 25,000 miles on the bike.
I ride the machine at least every other day and it continues to start and run without a single problem.

I hope you find the problem with your machine and if you do, please let me know what it was.
pg

Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
texasporty
Stage II

Mark,
Wow! Very old thread indeed.
I never found the problem.
Since my last post (in 2009) I have not had it happen once and I now have 25,000 miles on the bike.
I ride the machine at least every other day and it continues to start and run without a single problem.

I hope you find the problem with your machine and if you do, please let me know what it was.
pg
Thanks for the quick reply...if I find the cause I will post the fix. I have read this thread before and was hoping you had found a solution. Running on the rear cylinder seems fairly common...but solutions are not. One day you go out and it works fine...the next it may start and only run on front cyl. Today it is working fine...it just concerns me that I may get somewhere far away and this happens. I will continue to search. thanks again.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by texasporty
Thanks for the quick reply...if I find the cause I will post the fix. I have read this thread before and was hoping you had found a solution. Running on the rear cylinder seems fairly common...but solutions are not. One day you go out and it works fine...the next it may start and only run on front cyl. Today it is working fine...it just concerns me that I may get somewhere far away and this happens. I will continue to search. thanks again.
Yeah, it is one of the strangest things I have ever come across.
The engine will start right up on a single cylinder when this happens.
I shut it off, turn the key back ond most of the time it starts right up on both cylinders.
the time or two when the problem persisted I checked on everything I could think of and never found a single thing wrong.
Like I say..... a really strange thing.
pg

Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 PM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

same thing happened this morning to me on my 2002 Deuce.

Bike had warmed up for 3-5 minutes while I was strapping my gear on, go to take off and some one was coming up the drive way, pull up and shut down so we can talk. When I fired it back up I was only running on one cyl. I shut it down fired it back off still one cyl did this 2 times. Sat for a second thinking what could cause this (maybe 2 minutes) tried again it started fine. Rode 40 miles to work without issue. I was thinking it was the limp mode, until I looked in my manual on my pc and find no mention of limp mode for my bike.

I guess I'll see if it does it again at 5.