Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Red key light on - '09 Street Bob with 2 recent mods

Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Red key light on - '09 Street Bob with 2 recent mods

This bike has the factory theft-deterrent system installed from the dealer. Everything was working fine... But then I did two things to the bike. I put on a quick-disconnect back-rest which required me to install the rear turn-signal relocation kit which I did... And I also installed a 2" tank lift. I did all of these things without actually starting the bike anywhere in-between. I did turn the ignition key on a few times to check the turn signals as I was rewiring them. The left signals work great. The right signals seem to blink a little strangely... I mean first a little bit slow and then a little bit faster then they should. I had to extend the wiring. And I used all of the same color wire for all 3 wire extensions so I think I may have gotten a couple of the wires crossed on the right side. I started the bike for the first time this morning since doing that stuff to it and while riding in to work noticed the little green right turn signal indication on the gauge cluster was on, solid green little light. Not blinking. The front and rear right turn signals still seemed to work ok but the little indicator light was solid green on the cluster. I also noticed a couple of miles into my ride to work that the little key icon was lit up red on the instrument cluster. At first I thought these two things might be unrelated, that raising the tank up 2" might have put the key fob for the alarm system a little too far out of reach, but the more I thought about it, I started to wonder if crossing a couple of wires on the right rear turn signal setup could cause that key to show solid red. I don't have the owner's manual with me. What do you guys think? Just a couple of crossed wires? Can the red key indicator mean a problem other than one with the key fob/theft-deterrent stuff? After I stopped the bike when I got to work I removed the key and put it back in and was able to start the bike right up, but the little key icon was glowing red still. I hope it doesn't give me trouble for the ride home. I'd appreciate feedback from you guys on this (except for the "you idiot, why didn't you redo the wiring the second you noticed the blink rate seemed to be a little bit off" kind of comments.) Thanks.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes it sounds like you crossed some wires. The security module is in the turn signal module beleive it or not. It's all in the same unit.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

You have a code (indicated by lit red key) In the do it yourself forum there is a sticky in electric diagnostics thread on how to find and clear the codes with your speedo.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Shag67
Road Master

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. I'll be sure to update this thread with my final results once I have a chance to check into this more.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
You have a code (indicated by lit red key) In the do it yourself forum there is a sticky in electric diagnostics thread on how to find and clear the codes with your speedo.
You don't want to just clear the code, you have to know what caused it in the first place.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
You don't want to just clear the code, you have to know what caused it in the first place.
Agreed. That is just how to find it and then clear it.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Shag67
Road Master

Had a chance to look at it this morning. Yep, I had a couple of wires crossed over on the right turn signal. Rewired it correctly and everything seems ok now. Even the red key thing went away. Thanks for the feedback and information.