Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FXST Rear Turn Signal relocation kit problems..wires too short after relocating..help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
nxtlevl007
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry FXST Rear Turn Signal relocation kit problems..wires too short after relocating..help

bought the HD turn signal relocator kit for my 2007 FXSTB.

P/N 53933 - 03

I understand how the kit is supposed to work in concept, and the instrux tell you to cut and splice wires at certain measurements, etc, to remove from stock configuration, then use a butt connector to put back together once ran through the new bolts, etc.

but after putting wires through new bolts and running back inside the fender,etc. the wires are now about 2-3 inches too short to plug into the wiring harness near the taillamp.

has anyone else run into these problems and how did you get around it?

Attached Thumbnails FXST Rear Turn Signal relocation kit problems..wires too short after relocating..help-kit.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 180 Posts
Question

I am in the process of helping a buddy put on a turn signal relocation kit on his 2004 Fatboy. He is supposed to come over today and get started on the project. My question is, how do we first remove the existing signals from the chrome accent bar that is mounted to the fender? I am sure he has the directions with the kit he has but I was trying to get a jump start on the project by removing the existing signals before he gets here.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 AM
gwalsh
Advanced

I did the same kit a couple weeks ago. There is no way the old wires are near long enough. I had to splice in a 2-3 inches of new wire.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

IMO: Solder any and all wire extensions/connections and use heat shrink tubing to insulate/secure the splice.
Crimp connectors are NOT the best splicing items to use. They allow the wire to get wet, corrode and separate. If you "crimp" the connection too tight or not tight enough, the splice/terminal will separate quickly with a little vibration and you'll be doing it over again.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Phoggy
Stage I

Just jumping on to confirm that you do indeed have to extend the wires out a couple of inches to compensate for the slack taken up when relocating the turn signals. I have a Cross Bones and ran into the same problem when trying to install my new sissy bar. I called the local Harley dealership and spoke with a technician. He said they always have to extend the wires when doing the install. It sucks because the $50 relocation kit you buy should include an extension or at least mention this is an issue in the instructions, but it doesn't