Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM Pinout/ serial protocol

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
hwk16d
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ECM Pinout/ serial protocol

Does anyone have the ECM pinout diagram for the 02-07 Delphi ECM?
Also is it using CanBus, or OBDII coms? I wanna make my own race tuner, call me crazy, did it on my 2000 BMW 323 (CanBus) for $50.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be J1850??

Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
jschmuck
Novice
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

I've done this. Buy an electrical diagnostics manual for any one of those years. It will tell you which pin is what. Creating your own won't happen for under $200 unless you make your own hardware. The cheap interfaces out there won't work. You'd also have to figure out how to get the code off the ECM so you can disassemble it. The data logging and the programming is Harley specific. It's not easy, but you have complete freedom to do what you want once you get it all figured out.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by jschmuck
That interface uses the ELM protocol. It might work for data logging very slowly and definitely won't work for programming.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
jschmuck
Novice

Frank - Thanks for your reply. I don't have what it takes knowledge wise, patience wise or time wise. Sure is good that folks like yourself and Steve Cole / Doc are around.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
maxspongebob
Stage IV

Originally Posted by hwk16d
Does anyone have the ECM pinout diagram for the 02-07 Delphi ECM?
Also is it using CanBus, or OBDII coms? I wanna make my own race tuner, call me crazy, did it on my 2000 BMW 323 (CanBus) for $50.
HWK16d, did you ever get this project off the ground. I have been looking into interfacing with the DLC connector. Supposedly it is J1850 VPWM. Unfortunatly I have had little success. I wanted to use one or the bluetooth diagnostic adaptes for OBDII on cars. It should work, but cant see any data. I can send you the ECM wiring diagram for a 2009 touring bike if you still need (it has all the pinouts, wire colors and signal names).

Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
HWK16d, did you ever get this project off the ground. I have been looking into interfacing with the DLC connector.
I'm not hwk16d, but I have it working. Both logging and programming. I just sent out my files to get a PCB made for hardware as well.

Supposedly it is J1850 VPW.
It is.

Unfortunatly I have had little success. I wanted to use one or the bluetooth diagnostic adaptes for OBDII on cars. It should work, but cant see any data. I can send you the ECM wiring diagram for a 2009 touring bike if you still need (it has all the pinouts, wire colors and signal names).
None of the off the shelf stuff will work without doing your own software to work with them. Even then, most of them use the ELM chip, which isn't very fast for logging and won't do programming.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Cvale
Stage I

Originally Posted by ToBeFrank
I'm not hwk16d, but I have it working. Both logging and programming. I just sent out my files to get a PCB made for hardware as well.

It is.

None of the off the shelf stuff will work without doing your own software to work with them. Even then, most of them use the ELM chip, which isn't very fast for logging and won't do programming.
Can You share some more info with us? I would like to do something similar, but I am very limited with informations regardin flashing protocol used on harley bikes. Also how did You manage to find correct addresses of tables in FlashROM?

Regards

Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cvale
Can You share some more info with us? I would like to do something similar, but I am very limited with informations regardin flashing protocol used on harley bikes.
My code that implements the flashing and downloading process is open source:

HOSSTune source
HOSSTune forums

Also how did You manage to find correct addresses of tables in FlashROM?
I dumped the flash of the ECM and disassembled it.

Quick Reply: ECM Pinout/ serial protocol