Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

04 wide glide intermittent engine stall!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
caveman69
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 wide glide intermittent engine stall!!!

Hey brothers, i have a 04 wide glide injected model and i posted here before looking for an answer and thought i found it. But it came back worse than ever. My bike will for no reason stall on acceleration and its like some one turns the ignition off and back on almost like a bad connection somwhere. I got some replies to check in the area of the injectors due to harleys short length on the wires there. Suppossedly the slightest movement pulls on the wires creating a injector failure. I found one of my air cleaner/breather bolt had vibrated out and the whole assembly drooped about 1/2 inch contributing to the injector wires to be pulled on. I fixed that and checked everything out all is good. It ran great for the next 500 miles without an issue . Then it started again worse than ever ,i had someone behind me watching and i put an inline spark tester to monitor and see what i was losing. It had to be air (not likely but i cleaned the filter anyways) ,fuel or spark. It acted up and i was not losing spark but when it would stall out and intermittently come back on it was pouring out the black smoke, which would make it a rich condition. Thus saying the injectors were not failing as well. So if im not losing spark,fuel or air ,the three things it needs to run, what is it???????????? I was thinking the bank angle sensor malfunctioning but it would have to cut off one of two of those items. So has anyone ran into this before, its to the point that the bike is not dependable now. There is no rhyme or reason and cannot duplicate this on demand. Full of fuel almost empty doesnt matter. baffling.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check it for codes? Monitor system to see what is driving it rich? MAP. TPS, CHT, IAT?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 PM
caveman69
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re; enigne stalling

No codes and the light does not even come on when this happens. All is ok when monitored. There is nothing driving it rich, its the engine stalling or shutting down and the injectors still firing and letting fuel in is why its rich when it takes off again. Does that make any sense? The engine and diagnostics are working because i can check for codes and all is well there.