Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No spark evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
shovelshort
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No spark evo

Just recently inherited my Dad's bike (he built from ground up with 96' HD evo crate motor and softail frame) after losing him in an accident a month ago. Bike only has 1030 miles on it.

I have been having problems getting it started. He too had issues with it. I know just enough to get in trouble.

Here is the story. Tried to start it one day with no luck. Engine turned over. Replaced plugs. No start. Found out I was getting no fuel spray (he had left petcock on). Drained the bowl and got spray. Bike started and I ran it a few miles and it ran fine (turning it off once and re-starting it). Three days later went to start it again. It would turn over but not start. Checked bowl again but it was dry since I turned petcock off. I took the carb apart and cleaned it real well (pretty dirty). I had spray again. Bike turned over and still would not start. Checked for spark at the plugs and had nothing.

Points look real good and clean. I don't know how to "snap" them to see if that works. Battery is at 12v. Getting continuity at coil (yellow ACCEL - I'm assuming single fire?) but I do not know further how to see if coil is bad.

I remember hearing my Dad say he thought his on/off switch was bad. Would this be the case if the bike is turning over? Any help troubleshooting the gremlin would be helpful. Like I said, I know just enough to get in trouble.

Last edited by shovelshort; 05-18-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
shovelshort
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fixed

Replaced the coil and it fixed the issue. Bike runs fine now.

Surprised I didn't get any replies.