Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 Road Glide Magnetti Morrelli

Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
___Brandon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Road Glide Magnetti Morrelli

Hello,

This is getting to be a long story, so I'll try to get to the point:

99 RG was running great, then my factory exhaust with Rush slip on mufflers broke up on the head pipe so I bought a V&H Pro Pipe to replace and upgrade.

While taking exhaust off I figured good time to upgrade the cam tensioners with the screaming eagle upgrade kit - bike has 43K miles.

Added a power commander to deal with the new pipe.

Bike now idles fine, but when given any throttle it just seems to labor or lug. It has no power when riden, plugs look lean.

The engine light isn't coming on.

I'm not sure where to turn next. Every time I start it up it idles great, but it just has no snap to it when I rev it up. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM
___Brandon
4th Gear
Default Wet Sumping - Don't Know Why

Come to find out the bike has excessive oil in the crankcase, as proven by pulling the crankcase drain plug.

Oil pump has been pulled multiple times by dealership, everything looks -ok.

Harley has been called directly about it, they apparently either don't care or don't know.

Bike has 43,000 miles on it and its been dead for two months because I performed the recommended maintenance! It ran when it went into the shop! Not very happy about HD at the moment...

Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet the o-ring on the pump neck on the suction side was not replaced with a new one or it was damaged when the pump was installed.

How does the pump look? Are the gears damaged due to misalignment? Are all the other o-rings new and in place?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
___Brandon
4th Gear
Default O-Rings

I originally had the bike at a small local shop for the cam tensioner work, and after reassembly it wouldn't run right. With the new pipe he figure I had a tuning issue so we added the power commander, but it still just had no power, so he thought we were coming down to a bad throttle pos. sensor. He didn't have the proper equipment to set up a new sensor on the M.M. injection system. He wasn't able to get it from HD. So I took it into a dealership.

The dealer immediately thought it was a sumping problem when they heard it run, so they pulled it in and removed the crankcase plug. I was standing there watching and I bet a half quart came out of the case, and it was still draining when I left!

The dealer originally suspected a pinched o-ring, but last time I talked to them they said they have had bike apart 3 times and everything looked good. No pinched o-rings, the pump alignment was good. He told me that he hasn't found anything wrong, but it is still getting too much oil in the case.

A brand new pump came with that screaming eagle cam tensioner "upgrade" kit that cost me $600. Harley claims that they haven't had any quality issues with this kit, but I'm thinking the pump must be bad or something.

The bike has a Baker +1 oil pan on it, and the mechanics are talking with Baker to see if there might be a problem with the oil pan and the SE cam tensioner plate, but it doesn't seem like that would be a problem. That pan was put on the bike last spring, I've probably riden 2500-3000 miles with it on there and haven't had any problems. Even running 80-90 mph for long distances.

I thought I was doing a good thing by taking care of this cam tensioner deal. It sure hasn't worked out so well for me so far!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
bullet 10
Tourer

Branden, I installed the SE cam plate and pump on my 99 RoadKing, started it up and had low oil pressure, tore down and could find nothing wrong, same thing. Took to dealer where a mechanic took down and figured out there had to be a hole blocked on the 99 and 2000 twin cams. HD sent out to dealers instruction on where to plug hole. Tell your dealer to get intouch with HD service on this issue. Hope this helps. Tom

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bullet 10
had to be a hole blocked on the 99 and 2000 twin cams. HD sent out to dealers instruction on where to plug hole. Tell your dealer to get intouch with HD service on this issue. Hope this helps. Tom
same on my 1999 road glide the self tapping screw came in the se kit, but I can't remember whether the screw was on the pressure or scavenge side

Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scroll down to the last page for info on pluging the cam plate. Also check the cam plate for a stuck relief valve.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...on-99-2006.pdf

Also see this thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...probelm-4.html

Last edited by ajayrk; 11-03-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 AM
___Brandon
4th Gear
Default Plugging Cam Plate and oil relief valve

I got to go through the low pressure problem to. The RG has the oil pressure gauge in the fairing, and it was reading zero. The bike was tore apart and a plug was added to the cam plate, now the gauge reads fine. The mechanic and I read that the pressure relief is supposed to limit the pressure to no more than 35 psi, and I'm not getting more than that on the gauge so I think the relief is working.

Is there more than one port that needs to be plugged on the 1999? It's only had one plug put in so far.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 AM
bullet 10
Tourer

I only know of 1 plug. Was the plug in before problem?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM
___Brandon
4th Gear
Default Plug

At first the plug wasn't in and the pressure gauge was showing zero. We didn't know of a wet sumping problem at that point, but it could have been there. It was never ridden like that for fear of damage.

Once the plug was installed the pressure gauge showed the normal 30 or so psi. It was at that point that it was noticed that it didn't have any power to it, and that led to eventually finding the wet sump problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Road Glide Magnetti Morrelli