Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

got a spitting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 AM
crewchief21
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation got a spitting problem

got a 05 road king custom with stage 1. went and had true duals put on, vance hines pipes, hooker header muffler. the bike started to spit and pop when in high gear,so went back and added commender and its still doing it, took it back , checked mapping and all, and its still doing it. whats crazy it sometimes it runs great and all of sudden it starts it again, 99% of time its in high gear between 50 -60 mph??????? any glues ???

Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

Patience Grasshopper.

First, you opened up the air path significantly. So that leans out the AFR at all levels. Some are not as critical as others, but HDs start out pretty lean to begin with.

When you added the Power Commander, I assume that was a PC3 open loop system. After you added this component, did you have the bike tuned on a dyno? Generally the base maps are good but not specific to the changes to your bike. Or specific to the exact components you installed. This generally (from what I have read) takes 3 to 4 hours (at shop labor rates) - so its a bit expensive.

What other testing has been done? When you say it runs great then starts "all of the sudden" - exactly what are you doing and what did you do in the last minute or so. If you can figure out how to reliably reproduce the problem, it will be much easier to solve.

And a easy but often overlooked issue is making sure all your connections are clean and secure, including battery connections. I have read about and experienced really weird stuff that seemed to be corrected by performaing battery maintanence.

...gene

Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't overlook the spark plug connections. Sometimes you may not be getting enough spark to ignite the mixture, especially if the mix way off.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the dyno. It can be a little pricey, but you will be able to get it just right. Try and find bike show where sometimes they are offering discounted dyno rates.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
crewchief21
4th Gear
Default spitting

well when i had the commander put on, i had it put on dyno and he said it was right,then when i brought he checked again and says he dont understand??? i put in new plugs, differant gas 93 oct. 89 octane, open and closed pipe adjustment on muffers . ??? i,ll check battery post.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

OK, Now I understand. So how long did the tuner check the bike on the dyno? Like I said this takes hours. Just hooking it up and spending 30 minutes with it tells me you should take it somewhere else.

Also the harness connectors. I once got a bit of dirt inside a connector and it played havoc with the bike until I took each apart and cleaned each one.

...gene

...gene