Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn signal wire removal... HELP, PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Turn signal wire removal... HELP, PLEASE!

Hi, and thanks in advanced......

I just put some Wild 1 Chubby bars on my '06 Springer Classic. The wiring for the handlebar control swiches was super easy to remove from the plastic receptical that plugs in to the main harness on the frame's backbone. If it was so easy, then why can't I remove the signal wires from the black plastic connector as easily? The connector is flat, black, and has the six wires for the front two signals (2 black, 2 blue, and 2 purple). What am I missing and how do the wires come out of the connector?

Thanks!

Carl

Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Turn signal wire removal... HELP, PLEASE!

When I redid the turn signals on my street bob there was a seperate connector on each side with three wires in each.The right side had a small black connector and the left side had a larger white connector.I started out with the right side trying to get the pins out of the connector. I probed with a wire into the connector from the wire side of the connector and got one out but the other two just wouldn't release no matter what I did.Posted for help,didn't get much except to say it was a bear to get the pins out of the connector. Went to Radio Shack and bought a precision screwdriver set and some solder and shrink tubing just in case. I never did get the pins out of the small black connector and ended up cutting and soldering the three wires. The other side with the larger connector was a breeze,just probed with the tiny screwdriver and they popped right out.

When you probe,go in from the back side(wire side of the connector) and maybe you'll be lucky enough for them to pop out,if not just cut the wires and and solder them back together and cover with shrink tubing.Wish I'd done that to begin with,would have saves me a lot of time and flustration.

Be sure and label or diagram the wires so the right color goes back in the right hole and give yourself plenty of room to slide the shrink tubing out of the way or the heat from the solder gun will shrink your tubing in place before you're ready. Don't ask how I know.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 06-05-2006, 02:06 PM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Turn signal wire removal... HELP, PLEASE!

Thanks for the suggestion, as it sounds like how my experience ended up. The wires and connectors from the switch housings on the bars were a breeze. I relocated the signals to the side of the springer forks, but needed to re-route the signal wire harness inbetween the forks to make it look cleaner.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the wires out of the connector for the signals, so I did the same- cut/solder/shrinkwrap (but only 3 of the 6, as all six go into the same connector and I just needed to separate the two and reattach them).

In the end, the bar install looks bitchin' and looks 100% factory with only 3 wires out of the 18 needing to be cut and resoldered. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks for the help!

Carl