Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Good Scoop.... "New Fuel"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the gasoline business down south.

Our customers near the lakes all buy conventional 93 oct and blended E10 for regular and midgrade (which are exactly the same product). This allows the boaters to use real gasoline in their high performance engines.

Ethanol does raise the octane rating but if it degrades it doesn't lower the octane of the gasoline it's mixed with. In the case of 93 octane the original blend is 55% premium (93 oct), 35% regular(87oct), 10% ethanol(117 oct).

I realize many other parts of the country are going to be different due to the dozens of blends mandated by local laws and I can't speak of how these various blends are configured or refined but hope this helps some understanding of what you are buying.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Now the carb question. Is there anything we carbers should do or are able to do to make improvements on the crap gas?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

fuel isn't going to be an issue with my new 103" build, as it's a hybrid. it's going to burn gas and rubber. honestly though, it does suck that we have no clue as to what's really in our gas. only the wizards who are raking in the money know for real what's going on. oh well, at least we're able to get some sort of gas that will work in our bikes for now.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
Ethanol does raise the octane rating but if it degrades it doesn't lower the octane of the gasoline it's mixed with.
Please help us layman (or a least this layman) understand this statement. Ethanol certainly does enhance octane however it absorbs water which is inherint to storage, at which point it converts to other componds. How is octane maintained in that process? Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the main problem I have with ethanol,is it's a net loss to produce the stuff,last word i saw,it took 1.5 gallons of fuel to produce each gallon of ethanol,after you count the fuel used in growing the grain,etc,and all this for something that doesn't work as well?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 AM
integra1972
4th Gear

I switched to avgas in all my recreation carb running products. I wonder if anyone has tried this on there HD. I noticed excellent improvements when going to Aviation Gas in my atv and mx products.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanD
the main problem I have with ethanol,is it's a net loss to produce the stuff,last word i saw,it took 1.5 gallons of fuel to produce each gallon of ethanol,after you count the fuel used in growing the grain,etc,and all this for something that doesn't work as well?
Not to mention the increased price of corn-related products, like milk, meat and so forth. How did we let this happen? Sheep.
I looked at the suggested RxP and Star Tron reviews. The ST is far cheaper, using so little of the product: .33 oz/5 gal. - bottle costing appx $12 would save $43 per bottle if I got 1mpg more in my pickup. RxP seems to have a devoted following with higher mpg claims. Not something I can guess a calculation for.

Woah!!! I have to add this on alcohol-related additives to ethanol (alcohol) fuel:
http://www.fuel-testers.com/marine_a...treatment.html
Of course, they're selling test kits for it and include any product with alcohol in it, including Star Tron - but if you are only using .33 oz. to 5 gals fuel, how much alcohol could that even be?

Last edited by Quadancer; 04-20-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Why would I get 10% lower gas mileage in my pickup when using ethanol-added gasoline?

Thanx, RD.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

This just in: the Lucas fuel/oil additive has given me no more FE, according to the scangauge in my truck. Prior tank I put a cheap octane booster from O'Reilly's Otto parts that gave me just 1mpg more.
FYI.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 AM
The Student
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Why would I get 10% lower gas mileage in my pickup when using ethanol-added gasoline?

Thanx, RD.
with ethanol fuel, more volume of fuel is required to achieve a stoichiometric combustion (complete burn)...This is why the stoichiometric A/F ration of regular gasoline is about 14.68:1 and stoich for ethanol fuel is about 14.3:1

Quick Reply: Good Scoop.... "New Fuel"