Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI Fuel Pump Question....

Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EFI Fuel Pump Question....

Don't laugh at me yet, but, do these fuel pumps have a pressure regulator?? If so, is it at the pump or somewhere else??

I ask because I'd like to know if the fuel pressure can be adjusted. If so, I want to try raising it just a little to pump more fuel to see if it will help a ping issue I still have, especially in 6th gear. Road and weather conditions have to be just right to almost eliminate some ping I get. On a road trip over the weekend, with good conditions, I can cruise at around 72 MPH in 6th, with no ping. If I hit a slight wind, cross or head, it doesn't matter if I'm at 72 or 80 MPH, I'm gonna ping. I have a TTS and was also wondering if it's possible to go in and fatten up from 28-2900+ RPM to eliminate this ping. I can cruise at 80, roll on the go and get ping. Guess I will never know what it would be like to have a good running ride!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's an 08, so you have a Delphi system. The regulator is inside the tank.

These boys (that will chime in here) will tell you there are lots of other ways to increase fuel-to-air other than playing with the fuel pressure. All sorts of tuners are out there and different folks have different ideas about what's best. If you simply increase the pressure, you will richen it up all across the rpm range, which may not be a bad idea either. I have an early model with the Marelli system that has an external pressure regulator and I have been considering tweaking it too. I am sure you will here from some of these other tuners about Power Commanders and Race Tuners.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dropping some timing would be more productive than throwing more fuel at it. That's where I'd do it.
Ron

Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

With my TTS, can I go into that RPM range and change it? I try not to go into 6th until I'm at least 3100+ RPM. I don't like like driving this thing like a 2 Stroke to keep it from pinging!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Tony's VTwin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping problem

Before messing around with your fuel pressure you shoould have some one with the tuning program simply adjust the fuel for the rpm range that your pinging in. What do your plugs look like? Do you still have the stock air box? What do you have for an exhaust? You may find that it is a good possibility that your running slightly lean through the entire map and you could use a fattening all the way through the range. If you can't do AFR readings (air fuel readings) your plug color will be your next best referance o what you should do.
Tony

Old 09-21-2009, 08:30 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

It's been remapped on the Dyno, even tho- the Dyno print out shows everything as being dialed in and OK, I will get ping. My AFR is about 13.7 I just don't want it to ping in 6th gear while I'm cruising above 70+

Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If the pinging is mostly/only evident in 6th.....what rpm are you running cruising in 6th. Mine just would not run well in 6th. down there around 2600-2700 rpm, especially on a warm day in hill country. I found myself down shifting to 5th. quite often to get rid of the ping and eventually re-geared to get myself in a comfortable rpm range. 2800-2900 now feels much better in 6th.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running stock plugs, wires and coil?
If you are, do a data run and make it ping. The data should show the spark retard kicking in (up to 8*). If it is just retard the advance by 2* steps until the knock retard does'nt kick in.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 09 won't run below 75 mph indicated in 6th gear unless on dead flat pavement which is not very often around here in hilly GA. Don't have a tach. I think you are shifting into 6th too soon, personally. Needs to be going 75 and preferably 80 to drive well in 6th.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just go to the TTS and on the VE tables increase across the board 1%. If you have a good dyno tune just go a little richer. If the plugs look OK.

Forget about fooling around with the fuel pressure. About the last thing I would fool with.

I run all day at 50-58 MPH, 1750-1900 RPM in 6 gear. Pretty flat here.

Does have a Woods7H and is a 107 and lots of other stuff, but still. And a TTS. I tuned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EFI Fuel Pump Question....