Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How can I test Crane 'siamese' coil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:37 PM
zoorider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I test Crane 'siamese' coil?

I have an '89 Sporty with Crane HI-4 Ignition (Part No 8-2100) and the recommended Crane 'Siamese' coil (Part No 8-3001).

Having left it in the garage for far too long, I'm trying to get it started again. When I parked it, everything was fine, ran normally.

Now it won't start. It turns over, is getting fuel (I've cleaned out the carb, etc.), I am getting a spark at the rear cylinder, but not the front. I've tried swapping plugs and leads over and come to the conclusion it might be one side of the coil(s). The only coil tests in my manuals are for standard coils, not 'siamese' coils. Can anyone shed some light?

Using the instructions from the manual, I tested the Primary Circuit (I guessed it should be from one outer pole, to the centre pole) and got a reading of 3.1ohms.

The instructions then say shove the meter test leads into a standard coils two secondary connections and read what it measures...does this still apply with a 'siamese' coil? Does it still work the same way, as they are effectively independant coils aren't they? I tried it anyway and got a reading of 18.42, which is way above the manuals 11 -13 range. Have I done something really dumb, or is the coil useless?

If anyone can give any assistance - in real laymans terms, as I'm obviously being dumb - I'd really appreciate it. (I'm not even sure I'm using the meter correctly now!).

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 PM
zoorider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How can I test Crane 'siamese' coil?

I guess I was being dumb, after all.

The coil is fine...now I need to know if there's a way to test the Crane ignition black box - it doesn't seem to be sending a signal to one side of the coil.