Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter Motor 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Jinxie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Motor 101

I need haelp with my starter. I have a factory manual, but its not helping!
My bike is a 98 Dyna.

Here is what happened. I drove my bike into my garage and partially stripped it down so I could fix a few leaks, paint the engine and change some parts. It did start and run perfect prior to disassembly.
I removed the inner primary and starter so I could replace the primary. Now it wont start. Just clicks at relay and clicks at solenoid on starter. New battery, full charge with booster. I have full power at + terminal on solenoid and getting my start signal when I push the button.
I DONT get any power at the terminal coming out of the solenoid that goes to the body of the starter motor. I have had the solenoid apart numerous times and cleaned the contacts, etc. It just doesnt seem to be pulling in the plunger.
How do I test my plunger or pull in windings?
How does the gear engage to start the engine? For example, I know a chevy mechanically forces the pinion into the ring gear when the solenoid moves.
This solenoid doesnt look like it moves much, and there doesnt appear to be anything mechanically connected to it. Looks like it just closes contacts.
Any help appreciated! Is it possible I messed something up when I re-installed it??
Thanks

Old 10-25-2009, 12:21 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

Your issue is electrical. When you say it clicks, is the starter drive gear engaging the ring gear on the clutch basket?

This really screams bad connection with the starter, or the teeth on the starter are not compatible with the teeth on the clutch basket.

When you hit the button, do you hear a whine? Like the starter is running but not touching anything. Clicking is a little vague. If the starter is engaging and you hear a hum, something else is locked in the primary.

...gene

Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Jinxie
Cruiser

HI,
No whine. Nothing is turning. I can jump to the terminal on the case (bypass solenoid) and make the starter whine, but it doesnt engage the teeth on the basket. If I put my finger on the solenoid and hit the button, I can feel something clicking in there. When I put my test light on the terminal coming out of the solenoid that goes to the starter body, no voltage is coming across.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check for dead or near dead battery

or loose connection. Not getting enough voltage or soloniod is bad. Prob not enough voltage.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Jinxie
Cruiser

Problem solved. It ended up being the end of the plunger was sticking inside the solenoid cover and not travelling enough to contact the 2 contact points. It was moving a little and thats what I felt, but not enough to close the points. Its working now, but Im going to replace the contact points and solenoid just because.