Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

"Engine" light comes back on after start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Horsetrader
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question "Engine" light comes back on after start

Greetings- I have a 98' UltraClassic with fuel injection. Everything seems to be working as it should. When I first turn on the ignition, the "Engine" light comes on with the fuel pump. After it goes out, I start the engine, however the light comes back on for about 8-10 seconds and goes out again. The bike runs as it always has, which is great. It has never missed a beat or sputtered or failed to start. The manual simply says to go back to the dealer (of course) if the light comes on ANY time other than start up.

Any ideas? Any way to reset the system?

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It has a stored historic trouble code, which basically means something happened and tripped the code. Since the light is not staying on, you do not currently have a problem. The system will clear itself after 50 starts....Nothing to worry about. Ride on.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Horsetrader
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's good news. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
[PugMan]
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Road King. Had to replace the throttle body due to the butterfly shaft broke (geez, you'd think for the cost of HD you wouldn't have to deal with such crap)
Anyway, after the R&R the engine lite comes on with the fuel pump and then goes out. A couple of seconds after starting the lite comes back on and stays on. It starts and runs fine, well except it seems to idle lower than ideal, but all is great other than that. Something a home/novis mechanic can handle? Thanks for any help. I am unemployed so can't pay a shop.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by [PugMan]
I have a 2003 Road King. Had to replace the throttle body due to the butterfly shaft broke (geez, you'd think for the cost of HD you wouldn't have to deal with such crap)
Anyway, after the R&R the engine lite comes on with the fuel pump and then goes out. A couple of seconds after starting the lite comes back on and stays on. It starts and runs fine, well except it seems to idle lower than ideal, but all is great other than that. Something a home/novis mechanic can handle? Thanks for any help. I am unemployed so can't pay a shop.
You need to check the engine light code. Here you go...https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...odes-dtcs.html

Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM
danno50
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2009 ultra my check engine light comes on and i dont have any throttleafter that. I hope they find the problem this time.