Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Security light/no speedo/no blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 PM
tominokla
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light/no speedo/no blinkers

Heading home today my speedo quit working and the mileage never changed. The security light is on constantly and so are my turn signals and brake lights. They brake lights don't brighten when I press the brakes and the turn singals wont blink. Bike starts and seems to be running fine otherwise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tominokla; 11-08-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

security light is telling you that your Tssm has a trouble code stored. which goes with your t/s not working, as for the brake light, on a completely different circuit. try pulling the 2 wires off the rear brake light switch under the right side of the tranny. look at your tail light and use a paper clip/wire to connect those 2 wires, if your light brightens, your switch is bad.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your Accessory fuse......

T/S, Brake, Dash lights, TS/SM, etc are all on that circuit.....

Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
bwild4u
Stage III
Default tominokla

Any luck with your problem? I have the same or similar problem. I was riding with cruise on and went to release with front brake. The cruise didn't release and I freaked for a second and got it to release. My asscessory fuse was blown and blows only when I touched the front brake. No turn, brake, odometer, speedo, tach or there lights, cruise, lighter. Got home from the trip. OH, that happened in Ocala, FL. I live outside of DC in MD. Anyway, I tore it apart and looked for a short in the internal wiring. I found nothing. I cut all the wires that are questionable due to locatation and replaced them and the brake switch. Now I have the same problem, but not on the brake, but on the resume / set for my cruise. Then I dissembled the male- female connection of the right side bar wires and found that the orange with white striped wire is the problem. That is as far as I got... ANYBODY got a suggestion? this is a 2006 Road Glide. THANKS

Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The orange/white wire is the SWITCHED ACCESSORY POwer wire.....

You have a SHORT to GROUND, when the switch is activated, it overloads the circuit...

Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
bwild4u
Stage III
Default Thanks for tip

I have disconnected all the accessories on that curcuit and the problem is still there. I just got on here this evening and I was told by others that I have a ground issue. Thanks for the tip. I wantta put a penny in the dam thing to get this over with. The penny in the fuse box will show me the smoking gun!
Penny for your thoughts. lol Thanks greg

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM
tominokla
Intermediate

Still jacking with this thing. I hooked up a uniqcycle sounds speakers and amp during the summer and this problem showed up in November. I'm blowing the accessory fuse. So I disconneted the stereo and speakers but the problem is still there. The fuse will sometimes blow instantly when I turn the switch, sometimes it will last 5-10 minutes stationary before it blows the fuse, and sometimes I can get it down the drive and it blows the fuse.

I pulled the speedo off and tested the wires with a multimeter from the ignition to ground. The main wire and the red and black accessory wire pulls ohms when i test it to ground. The red and grey doesn't pull like it's shorted, however, when i test it from the ignition to under the seat (where i spliced in the stereo) it should read as a short but it doesn't. Can all three be bad?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
tominokla
Intermediate

Woke up at 7 am this morning to start taking looking for the short. Took off the speedo and disconnected all the plugs, cut the protective sheathing off of the switch wires, no chaffing. Took the switch apart, which proved nothing to me, put it back together, got the tank off (really didn't want to cut the protective sheathing off of all the wires that run along the frame)but I cut nearly all of the zip ties off, took the voltage regulator off, took the circuit breaker boxes off of the mounting bracket, stripped the electrical tape off of the wiring bundle. At this point I can't find anything chaffed so I'm thinking I have to cut all this sheathing off and inspect the wires. I go inside to get something and I hear my wife go out to the garage to look for me. She comes in and says
wife: "hey, did you cut the wire to the brake"?
me: Say what???
wife; on the left handlebar?
me: there isn't any brake on the left handle bar!!!
wife: well there's a cut wire there.
me: what?
we go back out to the garage and the wiring to the front fender light is cut in half!!! I touch it to the frame and burn 2 accy fuses to make sure that's what it is before I put the bike back together and sure enough that's it!!! F@& SH(* D@()^*&^)&^*))^)!!!

On a positive note,I learned how to remove the tank, and i got my speaker wires run under the tank.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
BarryL0117
3rd Gear
Default Key Icon stays illuminated

2009 Ultra, on my last ride I noticed the key icon was illuminated. Checking the manual Pg 136, it just says see a dealer. Everything seems to be working OK. I turned it off at a traffic light and restarted it and it went out. After dinner, it was on again and did not reset with a re-start. Will get to the dealer this week sometime and update when I have more.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tominokla
Woke up at 7 am this morning to start taking looking for the short. Took off the speedo and disconnected all the plugs, cut the protective sheathing off of the switch wires, no chaffing. Took the switch apart, which proved nothing to me, put it back together, got the tank off (really didn't want to cut the protective sheathing off of all the wires that run along the frame)but I cut nearly all of the zip ties off, took the voltage regulator off, took the circuit breaker boxes off of the mounting bracket, stripped the electrical tape off of the wiring bundle. At this point I can't find anything chaffed so I'm thinking I have to cut all this sheathing off and inspect the wires. I go inside to get something and I hear my wife go out to the garage to look for me. She comes in and says
wife: "hey, did you cut the wire to the brake"?
me: Say what???
wife; on the left handlebar?
me: there isn't any brake on the left handle bar!!!
wife: well there's a cut wire there.
me: what?
we go back out to the garage and the wiring to the front fender light is cut in half!!! I touch it to the frame and burn 2 accy fuses to make sure that's what it is before I put the bike back together and sure enough that's it!!! F@& SH(* D@()^*&^)&^*))^)!!!

On a positive note,I learned how to remove the tank, and i got my speaker wires run under the tank.
It would be bad enough if it was a buddy that pointed it out.....but you old lady see's your bike in pieces and says "what's this wire".....Ha hahahahahahha....

Quick Reply: Security light/no speedo/no blinkers