Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM download question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECM download question

Is there any way to tell if the ECM in my bike has had a stage 1 download? I bought a 99 RK with a PCII in it, and I changed the pipes on it. I was going to download a new map to it, but I'm not sure if the ECM is stage 1 or still stock, so not sure where to start with the maps.

The previous owner gave me the box that the PC came in, and it says "PCII, HD 99-01, Twin Cam, STG1" on it. I hate to assume anything, but am I correct in thinking that this PC is for a bike with a stage 1 download? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM
TickTock
Club Member

I believe the digital tech has that information. However there is a possibility that the bike was dyno tuned and the map you have was used as a base. If indeed it was dyno-tuned it would not matter what the starting point was as the map you have is custom to your bike and for all intents and purposes been tuned throughout the entire range of your motor.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Find the dealer that the previous owner used and contact the service department. They should be able to tell you if it was reflashed or not.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your bike is a 1999, it has the older Magnetti-Marelli FI system on it. The download was good for the modifications the dealer did at the time, nothing else. Any changes you have made to the intake, pipes, cams, heads and so on requires additonal tuning. With the PC you will be able to tune it and not worry about getting another download. The PC will override the download, in other words additional downloads are not needed. Just tune it with the PC. You can always go to the dealer and have them scan the ECM. They may be able to check that way.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 AM
MarkM
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not able to contact the previous owner to get any info about any work that has been done pn the bike. Am I correct in thinking that it won't hurt to try a few different maps to find one that works well?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by MarkM
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not able to contact the previous owner to get any info about any work that has been done pn the bike. Am I correct in thinking that it won't hurt to try a few different maps to find one that works well?
possibly. The thing you need to do is download the map that is on your bike first. If it has been customized the only copy that exists is in your current power commander. If your bike runs well your best bet would be to leave enough alone. If it doesnt run well it would be best to allow a dyno tuner to create a custom map for that bike.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

I think that what Paniolo is saying is that your bike has the older Magneti-Marelli ECM. All HD EFIs are made by Magneti Marelli, they're still a major contractor for Harley Davidson. The intake was changed from a double to a single, but it's still MM. It's the ECM that was changed to Delphi. The DynoJet typically will have issues if running over top of the HD stage downloads, so first step is to go to your local HD dealer and pay $40 to have the flash removed. The PC map should be running over a stock ECM map. THE PC SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ADDITION TO THE HD STAGE DOWNLOAD! Then its off to the tuner...

Last edited by Firetender; 01-21-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by Firetender
I think that what Paniolo is saying is that your bike has the older Magneti-Marelli ECM. All HD EFIs are made by Magneti Marelli, they're still a major contractor for Harley Davidson. The intake was changed from a double to a single, but it's still MM. It's the ECM that was changed to Delphi. The DynoJet typically will have issues if running over top of the HD stage downloads, so first step is to go to your local HD dealer and pay $40 to have the flash removed. The PC map should be running over a stock ECM map. THE PC SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ADDITION TO THE HD STAGE DOWNLOAD! Then its off to the tuner...
Im interesting in understanding how the dyno machine cares about what was loaded into the ecm. I thought the dyno read exhaust gases and didn't interact with a specific ecm. My understanding is that software is required to interact with the ECM and that software is not loaded into the dyno machine.

If my understanding is true, then the power commander map will override what is set in the ECM with or without a download and that map is the final number sent to determine what fuel/air mixture gets to the engine. This means there is no need to modify the existing ECM calibration if the Powercommander is going to override whatever is there - save your money for the dyno tune because reflashing the ECM is pointless.... If it is not true I will stand corrected.

Last edited by TickTock; 01-22-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any dealer can connect to your ecm and determine what download it has. A number comes up for each download.

A quick layman's test is to ride the bike in lower gear so that you can hit the rev limiter at a low speed. If the limit is at 5700 rpm it has the stock download. If the limit is at 6200 rpm it has a performance download.

You will need a tachometer for this.

1999/2001 Touring Twin Cam 88™

Calibration NameCartridge Part NumberCalibration ID
1450 Stage I 32708-99B270CC015 32081-01
1550 Stage I 32710-99B270CF211 270CC015
1550 Stage II 32711-99B270CG278 270CF211
TC Stage I and Stage II 270CG278
(10 downloads)

1550 High OutputCurrently not availableCurrently not available

Last edited by ajayrk; 01-22-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Im interesting in understanding how the dyno machine cares about what was loaded into the ecm. I thought the dyno read exhaust gases and didn't interact with a specific ecm. My understanding is that software is required to interact with the ECM and that software is not loaded into the dyno machine.

If my understanding is true, then the power commander map will override what is set in the ECM with or without a download and that map is the final number sent to determine what fuel/air mixture gets to the engine. This means there is no need to modify the existing ECM calibration if the Powercommander is going to override whatever is there - save your money for the dyno tune because reflashing the ECM is pointless.... If it is not true I will stand corrected.
You have it right.

Quick Reply: ECM download question