Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune - VTUNE run question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS Mastertune - VTUNE run question

Forgive me if I'm not getting the exact terminology for this, but here goes... I finally got some time to start playing with the Mastertune, so this morning I backed up my stock calibration and installed the base map for my bike ( 09 FLHX(TBW) )....Now with that done I'm ready to do my 30 minute rides to collect data. Since I will not be able to do that until April, I started doing some reading in Docs manual, as well as the manual/help file on the software itself.

1) My 1st question is, after I complete my first run and launch the VTune program, the instructions mention to blend the file I just recorded from my ride, with the base file, to generate a tune, once that tune is generated I assume that file is saved and loaded into my ECM is that correct?

2) My 2nd question is, on my next and subsequent runs, am I blending the file which is loaded in the ECM with the recorded file from the ride and loading them each time?

Again I apologize if I'm not making any sense here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Marty

Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you have it figured out.

When you make the calibration runs it is done while running the Datamaster program, when you open Vtune it it will ask for the a calibration file and a Datamaster file to create a new tuning file.

You want to select the actual cal that you are running at that time, and the most recent Datamaster file from your ~30 minute run. It will create data tables for new VE calibrations. At this point it will ask you if you want to accept the tables to create a new cal "tune", if the VE tables indicate that you made a good run for data gathering you should hit accept.

This will create a new cal that incorporates the new data into the base file that you are currently running. You will rename this file and load to the ECM of bike, now this cal is your base cal for the next tuning run. To clarify what I think your question was, each subsequent tune builds on the previous cal update.

Each run made should show improved VE table data after Vtune creates a new cal, this will be reflected in the color shading seen on the new VE tables prior to accepting the new tune.

The process is explained pretty well in the instructions and will seem easier, and make much more sense after you go through it the first time.

I'm in the middle of doing the tuning on a new big bore swap myself, at least I am when the weather permits.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hobe
It sounds like you have it figured out.

When you make the calibration runs it is done while running the Datamaster program, when you open Vtune it it will ask for the a calibration file and a Datamaster file to create a new tuning file.

You want to select the actual cal that you are running at that time, and the most recent Datamaster file from your ~30 minute run. It will create data tables for new VE calibrations. At this point it will ask you if you want to accept the tables to create a new cal "tune", if the VE tables indicate that you made a good run for data gathering you should hit accept.

This will create a new cal that incorporates the new data into the base file that you are currently running. You will rename this file and load to the ECM of bike, now this cal is your base cal for the next tuning run. To clarify what I think your question was, each subsequent tune builds on the previous cal update.

Each run made should show improved VE table data after Vtune creates a new cal, this will be reflected in the color shading seen on the new VE tables prior to accepting the new tune.

The process is explained pretty well in the instructions and will seem easier, and make much more sense after you go through it the first time.

I'm in the middle of doing the tuning on a new big bore swap myself, at least I am when the weather permits.
Hobe...

Thanks so much for the clear and concise response... and your absolutely correct regarding the instructions, but I appreciate you letting me know that I'm on the right track....

Thanks again.....

Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I also make sure I number my file for my tuning session so it matches my collection run. Example for my first run:
Tuning file: PI176-002-B1-VT-001
VTune File: VTuneData-001

That way I can keep them straight for the merge. I use the VT in the file name to remind me that file is configured for tuning. On my last run I save a new VT file, and then after removing the tuning parameters save it without the VT designation in the name. Then I'm all set if I need to make subsequent tuning sessions- just pick up where I left off.

Mark

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 02-16-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
I also make sure I number my file for my tuning session so it matches my collection run. Example for my first run:

That way I can keep them straight for the merge. I use the VT in the file name to remind me that file is configured for tuning. On my last run I save a new VT file, and then after removing the tuning sessions save it without the VT designation the name. Then I'm all set if I need to make subsequent tuning sessions- just pick up where I left off.

Mark
Mark

Great suggestion....thanks for the heads up.....

Marty

Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And what is meant about blending is that the gathered data from the several runs ends up with only a part of the whole map. Maybe about 40%. That in a group that starts at low RPM and Load and covers, in a diagenal direction, to higher rpm and load. Basicely the general runing areas. Hard to get some of the uncovered areas cause neighbors, dogs or Police will complaine as you scoot up and down the road at various RPM's and gears.
So unless you use a dyno and the dyno page, some of the Map has to be just, "blended".
Dyno lets you target an exact point on the map as you watch it.
If you have two or more close cells gathered and some close to them not covered you can, "interpolate" or ,"blend" these in to match the general info you got.

Haven't used that word in a long time.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 02-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 PM
idolno1
Advanced

He's (I mean "I'm") starting to believe (understand)!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:21 PM
mr_gdr
Cruiser
Default same but diffrent

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark

That way I can keep them straight for the merge. I use the VT in the file name to remind me that file is configured for tuning. On my last run I save a new VT file, and then after removing the tuning parameters save it without the VT designation in the name. Then I'm all set if I need to make subsequent tuning sessions- just pick up where I left off.

Mark
I use the date like if i did it today Tuning file would be 6-23-2015, and the VTune file would be 6-23-2015,,, I can then go back to any day if the tune was better... just my way,,,what ever works for ya... ride safe and fast...thanks