Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Aftermarket Stators

Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 AM
librarian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stators

I think the stator on my 01 Ultra Classic is dead. While riding today, the radio and guages shut down, then the bike started to miss above idle. I put a new battery on it, and the voltmeter on the dash showed only 12 volts. I rode the bike home on the battery and looked up the information on the web site for testing the stator and voltage regulator. There was no voltage showing on the regulator test, which according to the test is indication of a good regulator. The stator tests, however were not perfect. The continuity test to ground showed no continuity, which, according to the test is a good thing. However, when I started the bike and set my tester leads on the stator pins, I got zero a. c. voltage when I should have gotten, according to the test, 19-26 votls a.c. per 1000 rpm.

Additionally, when I pulled the stator/voltage regulator connector apart, oil came out of it. Is this a normal situation, or do I have and oil leak somewhere?
Do any of you have aftermarket stators on your bikes. If so, what are they rated at, and have they been more reliable thant the standard HD stators. I want to make my charging system as reliable as possible. Also, what is the cost of aftermarket stators versus the original HD items. I am going to try to get one of the independent shops here to do the work.

Any and all advice given will be much appreciated.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:43 PM
captainhawg
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aftermarket Stators

Hmmm, first off, the oil coming out of the connection outlet is probably just oil out of the primary case which means that the primary is full, which is a good thing. Next, I check voltage at the battery, should read 13.2 volts on a properly charging system. ( I used these checks on '83 FLHTC and a '95 FXDWG.) I get all my parts from Canyon Run, if you call them ask for Steve. They have a website. If you replace the stator be sure to locktite the threads and secure the wire ties through the bolts as well. I would replace the regulator as well because usually when one part of the charging system fails it takes the other with it. The manual says you can use a breaker bar and 1 1/2" socket to remove nut securing front primary sprocket. I had to use an impact wrench, but be VERY careful as you can ruin seal on the shaft. When you go back on with the nut use the breaker bar socket setup.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Square Dude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley has a problem with primary oil "wicking" out through the stator wires. This will only cause a leak. The fix they did on my RK was to tie the connector high on the down tube and hope it wouldn't leak. It is not unusual to find oil in the connector.

No real need in checking continuity on the stator because if it doesn't put out 50 - 60 volts a.c. when you rev up the motor it's toast anyway. The voltage regulator doesn't control the output of the stator - engine speed does. So, you might waste your money replacing the regulator. I'd replace the stator first. Mine has worked fine since replacing the stator a while back.

The new H-D stator is the third version of the original so I hope it is more durable. However, the whole thing is more like that which you might find on a riding lawn mower than a reliable system you will find on cars and most other motorcycles today. I don't know if anyone makes a more reliable stator. Consider this: The faster you ride, the more work the stator does. Ride fast a lot and stress out your stator. The output is controlled by those permanent magnets stuck to the inside of the rotor. The faster they spin the more output from your stator. The regulator merely shorts to ground anything over and beyond what is needed to charge your battery. It is blind as to controlling the stator output. My Cushman Eagle 45 years ago had a similar electrical system although it lacked regulation and a battery. The faster I rode it the brighter the headlight was!

I believe my stator was about $125 from H-D. You may want to purchase a new primary cover gasket $35. It's not that hard to replace but if you are not mechanical and don't have many tools you may want to have someone eles do it.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:29 AM
librarian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I found a local independent shop that specializes in Harleys. For what they are charging me for labor, I didn't want to fool with it. I'll post how it all turned out when it is done.