Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

09 streetglide dealer said ecm fried had to replace sest with power commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
badbaggerz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 streetglide dealer said ecm fried had to replace sest with power commander

Well this is how it started I have an 09 street glide with arlen ness big sucker air filter and vance and hines monster ovals and a screamin eagle super tuner. I replaced the monster ovals with rinehart true duals and rode it to the dealer to be dynoed and retuned for the new exh. I dropped it off on a tues. night they said they will get it done first thing wed morning. I call them wed. not done yet called at the end of the day wed. night not done. I called thurs afternoon not done I said whats the problem they said they couldnt communicate with the ecm the ran an initial dyno but when they went to communicate with the ecm they couldnt. So a i waited a few hours and called back and spoke to a different service writer. I asked if they got further on it and they said the ecm is shot cant communicate and I need a new ecm which means my ecm is garbage now and the sest because it could only be used on one ecm. So now I have a bike at the dealer fried ecm garbage sest and I asked if the ecm is warrenteed they said it is but not the sest. At that point was pretty pissed I emailed thservice manager and said put the new ecm and I will install a power commander. After speaking to the manager we worked it out and I said since you guys say the sest is a little difficult to tune put a power commander V in it. They did they only charged me an hour to install the power commander and dyno. I guess its not too bad considering other dealers want a flat 450.00 just to dyno. I want to know has anyone else had an ecm go bad during the dynoing stage or at all and anyone has the power commander V and like it. Thanks

Last edited by badbaggerz; 03-14-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the first time I have heard of a bad ECM. It sucks you had to buy a new tuner. I wish I knew someone that could make the SEPST work on more than one ECM. I'm sure ther is some computer geek out there that could do it.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
badbaggerz
Advanced

It was a screamin eagle pro super tuner sorry I didnt mention that my mistake but regardless I still needed a new tuner. I agree why not make it tune more than one ecm I guess to help there sales so people couldnt share tuners. I think the tts tuners could work on 2 ecms.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 PM
badbaggerz
Advanced

I wonder if they just didnt know how to tune the sepst and wanted me to install a pcV because thats what they recommend to there customers. I guess I will never get the answer to that but I never heard of anyone with a bad ecm either.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM
nocarb
Road Master

Originally Posted by badbaggerz
I wonder if they just didnt know how to tune the sepst and wanted me to install a pcV because thats what they recommend to there customers. I guess I will never get the answer to that but I never heard of anyone with a bad ecm either.
I hate the thought of that being possible. But it is unfortunately. It is a shame that you can't trust everyone.

Who tuned it the first time? The same dealer or a different one.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
never say never
Tourer

this is b. s. i think they fried your ecm probally had some rookie hook into it wrong or they are so lame they dont now how to open the sert,people have got to realize that most harley dealers really dont now how to tune a bike, they are just plugg and play tuners using the stuff the moco offers them pre programed nonsense ive seen alot of riders drop alot of cash for cams and a sert at the dealer only to have thier bike run and perform just as well as it did before they drooped the 2500 in cash.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
badbaggerz
Advanced

A different dealer I bought the bike from the original owner and he had his dealer tune it in tenn. so I went to my local dealer in Ct. to have it tuned. This is the second time I had a problem with them. They didnt charge me the full dyno time so that saved me a little but I wish I could go to the dealer and just have everything go right. I might go to another dealer about 45 min away but alot better service I heard.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM
never say never
Tourer

if this happened to me iwould want the old ecm and the sert software that you should of gotten when you purchased the bike,Then i would send them off to a reputable tuner (such as jamie at fuel motto)and see if he can make the ecm and the sert communicate.IM sorry for your situation but i smell a rat!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:36 PM
nocarb
Road Master

A different dealer I bought the bike from the original owner and he had his dealer tune it in tenn. so I went to my local dealer in Ct. to have it tuned. This is the second time I had a problem with them. They didnt charge me the full dyno time so that saved me a little but I wish I could go to the dealer and just have everything go right. I might go to another dealer about 45 min away but alot better service I heard.
I have the same problem with most dealers. Most dealers probably think I'm an ******* but WTF I just want it right. I love the that's "normal".

Parts guy's WOW that's a whole new topic.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree why not make it tune more than one ecm I guess to help there sales so people couldnt share tuners. I think the tts tuners could work on 2 ecms.
My tuner I had on my truck would only allow it to tune that truck, but as soon as you set everything back to stock, it would "unmarry" that tuner and you could use it on another truck. Is that not the same as the sert?

It's too bad about your ecm. I would think that you should not have to keep paying for tunes and dynos, when they cant seem to get it right in the first place. Not saying you have a bad dealer, but maybe a second opinion is in order.

Quick Reply: 09 streetglide dealer said ecm fried had to replace sest with power commander