Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 electra glide fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Schibes
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 electra glide fuel line

took the tank off my 99 electra and can't get the fuel lines reconnected without leaking when fuel pump enguages. replaced the O rings and they still leak. any help greatly appreciated.
TJ

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sure you are talking EFI here...right. The later models with the new EFI system use the one hose and the pressure relief is in the tank. The early models used the (to keep it simple) two-hose system. Harley goes all around the world seeking new and obscene methods of connecting fuel and oil lines. When they don't use an ear-clamp...they find some odd or hard-to-get method of connection. Some of this is related to ease of production, but I think some of it is to make sure you can only purchase the replacement part from the MOCO. Those early hoses have a "captive" connection at the tank end and there is an o-ring down in that nut you simply cannot get to. It has likely hardened and turned or rubbed out of shape when you reinstalled the lines.

There are various options:
#1. Go open the wallet and purchase new lines from Harley.
#2. Goodridge makes a stainless steel set of lines that convert the tank fittings to banjo type fittings as they are attached to the fuel rail...but a bit costly. The Goodridge PN was HDFL005 the last time I looked. This would cure any present or future problem.
#3. If you have pretty good mechanical skills, you can build some lines that will never leak again and you can forget the problem. I have converted a few in this fashion and have never had a problem. You can PM me for that fix as it needs to be explained in detail and I don't have enough room here.

The o-ring right on the end of the nut you are changing is not your problem. These hoses come in two pieces. The hose end has a bayonet style fitting crimped on the end, which "plugs" into the bottom of the nut....once it's plugged-in....it ain't coming out.

Fuel leaks in this are are quite common in the early EFI bikes.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 791 Likes on 602 Posts

click link...see nice pictures ....read some info...then go to J and P cycle and order..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-line.html