Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How the heck do I get the Smart Tune to work!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the heck do I get the Smart Tune to work!!!!

I'm very frustrated right now.. I purchased a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner Pro with Smart Tune HD part number: 32109-08B. I bought this to reprogram the ecm on my 2010 limited after I changed out pipes, breather, and mufflers.

Anyway, Is their a secret to the smart tuning... I reflace my ecm with the "Smart Tune feature" and the "reset Adaptive fuel" settings checked. I then go back into the toolbox and select record data with my VCI. I then go out with my VCI (which now has a red light glowing on it) and drive around for like 30 minutes. I do all kinds of WOT runs.. normal driving.. and such. I get back to the computer and leave the bike running. I hook up the VCI to the computer again and go to Download data on the VCI screen. It tells me that no events were recorded. Am I missing something... this shouldn't be difficult but for some reason I've failed three different times.

Do I need to click the button on the VCI so that it isn't glowing red.

I'd love some experienced tuners to come into this thread and tell me what I must be doing wrong. Worst comes to worst I'll take this to a tuner and spend more money, but I shouldn't have to do that.

I'm currently running on the HD SE setting for my 103 FT pistons with SE Exhaust and Stage one AC. The bike runs strong and the plugs are just a tiny bit white at the little dyode, but they look Ok to me. My buddy rode behind me yesterday and he told me that he couldn't see any black smoke or smell any fuel when I was really getting on WOT hard.. could this thing be tuned perfectly from the HD SE settings??? I'm also getting about the same exact gas mileage as I did prior to all the changes (about 41 mpg).

I appreciate any and all help.... I so want to get the final tune on my bike.. I'd hate to see my motor go bang!

Thanks in advance, Ralph

Last edited by scarygt; 04-13-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the vci there is a red button you must push for it to start the recording. You will see the constant red light on the vci once you programed with the tuner. Have the bike running an push the red button on vci, now the red light will be blinking. This is when it is recording, ride the bike an when when you want to stop recording push the red button on vci an the red light will not flash but be constant. When you go to upload recording to comp. you can shut the engine off with the kill switch. Do not turn ignition switch off an you can upload recording. If you shut ignition switch off you will lose data in vci.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
scarygt
Road Master

God Bless you... I swear the user manual doesn't say that you need to push that button!

I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by scarygt
God Bless you... I swear the user manual doesn't say that you need to push that button!

I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thanks, Ralph
One more question... do i have to press it at the end to stop the recording or can I just plug into computer and download the recording?

Thanks again, RAlph

Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 PM
RA51
Road Master

You have to press the red button to stop the recording before you can upload the data.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by RA51
You have to press the red button to stop the recording before you can upload the data.
Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
scarygt
Road Master

RA51 IOU a beer for the help. I was able to get the smart tune to work... I data logged for about an hour of driving and then calibrated/merged.... with my current tune. It made a noticeable difference in the over all feel of the bike. It was peppy before the smart tune, but now it feels stronger and more solid.

Thanks again for setting me straight on what I needed to do, Ralph

Old 08-19-2011, 06:10 PM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same unit, the dealer downloaded the base map and did one recording. I would like to do a couple of data run myself. I have one question

When I connect the vci to the bike do I still need to connect it to the laptop or can I just press the red button and record. Then when I am done recording connect it to the laptop (while it is still connected to the bike) and download data?

I ask this question because the manual says connect the vci to the laptop to put it in the record mode

Thanks

Rick

Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good Posts RA51!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 PM
RA51
Road Master

Originally Posted by ricaroo
When I connect the vci to the bike do I still need to connect it to the laptop or can I just press the red button and record. Then when I am done recording connect it to the laptop (while it is still connected to the bike) and download data?

I ask this question because the manual says connect the vci to the laptop to put it in the record mode

Thanks

Rick
Super tuner program open, connected to bike, turn key on, run switch to run. Left corner tool box click, 3rd down icon click. This is for data record. Click ok twice when asked. The red light will be on vci. Disconnect cable from computer to vci. Do not shut key off or It will not record. Start bike, push red button an ride. You are data logging. Push red button after ride to stop recording. Back by computer after ride, shut kill switch off but do not turn key off. Hook cable from computer to vci. Click download, will go to a screen you put your notes in, click accept an will download the data. Wait till it has completed an red light on vci is out. You can view the data then or load your map an smart tune with the data file.

Quick Reply: How the heck do I get the Smart Tune to work!!!!